Ted Kassalow

Dec 30, 2000
School/Org
Columbia University/ PCO Post Grad '68
City
Ann Arbor
State
MI
The parcel post guy just delivered my Tivo--another great toy that will ensure that I will never miss an episode of Sex in The City or the Sopranos ever again.

That same afternoon, while reading Blue Latitudes, a book about the 3 voyages of Captain Cook, I read the following passage and at least for a short while, thought about the quagmire of wanting more and more, as George Carlin put it, "stuff."

The entry in Captain Cook's diary refers to the aborigines he spent time with in Australia.

"They may appear to some to be the most wretched people on Earth, but in reality they are far more happier than we Europeans:being wholy unacquainted not only with the superfluous but the necessary Conveniences so much sought after in Europe,they are happy in not knowing the use of them. They live in Tranquility which is not disturb'd by the Inequity of Condition: The Earth and sea of their own accord furnishes them with all things necessary for life....They seem'd to see no Value upon any thing we gave them, nor would they ever part with anything of their own for any one article we could offer them; this in my opinion argues that they think themselves provided with all the necessities of Life."

I see that my son and many of his contemporaries, if not willing to give up the "necessities" at least are much more devoted to sharing the load with their spouses, the care and upbringing of their kids, getting home at more reasonable hours so that they are only present onweekends. I also see them taking time off from work to attend school plays, concerts, etc.

No, I won't send my Tivo back.