Doctors baffled as they find 27 contact lenses lodged in a 'forgetful' woman's eye when she...

ODwire.org NewsBot

NewsBot
Staff member
Jul 30, 2007
School/Org
Newsbot U
City
Barre
State
VT
Fake news:

" The woman, 67, who had been wearing disposable lenses for 35 years, had been suffering from discomfort which she thought was caused by dry eyes and old age."

Disposable contact lenses weren't around 35 years ago. :)

Lets see...is the average SCL like 70 um so assuming the lens is in SITU, it is not dehydrated.

So 70 um each x 35 lense is about 2,500 um or about 4-5 times the thickness of the cornea. That is a lot of bulk. That is also a lot of bull.

(Kiener is my math correct?)

Reactions: Jeff Kiener
Lets see...is the average SCL like 70 um so assuming the lens is in SITU, it is not dehydrated.

So 70 um each x 35 lense is about 2,500 um or about 4-5 times the thickness of the cornea. That is a lot of bulk. That is also a lot of bull.

(Kiener is my math correct?)

"Fake news?" or truth is stranger than fiction?

Probably she never got removal technique down pat...

or maybe she was saving them... an original B&L B3 might be worth something on eBay

Hey just tell your patients that freak out because they think that the contact lens they dropped is inside their eye that a lady lost 27 of them in her eye and didn't know until she had some other procedure done and was found by accident. That'll calm then down.

Reactions: Jeff Kiener
Right H.C. If they only lost 1 in their eye, there is apparently a room for a lot more. You can even include references.

And what would the power be of even 17 lenses stacked on each other?

We had another thread with the same topic a couple of years ago and I was not able to find it.

It looks like a legitimate story;

nintchdbpict000339034902.jpg

nintchdbpict000339034900.jpg

Wasn't saying it was really fake. Just that the reporter, the savior of the free world, didn't know what he was talking about.

I had a lady a few years back come in with 6 or 7 lenses in one eye. She thought she had none on because she couldn't see and wanted me to check to be sure. She was messed up on all kinds of prescription meds.

Maybe her usual Rx was -6.75 and she was out of CL's, so she did the math and used 27 of her son's -0.25 dailies?
Facebook told her you could do this.

4 is my personal record for CL's in one eye by a patient.

I hope this is legit because it hit the mainstream media today. I heard about it on HLN and on the radio.
I bet this lady didn't want to be famous over this!!!

I had a lady a few years back come in with 6 or 7 lenses in one eye. She thought she had none on because she couldn't see and wanted me to check to be sure. She was messed up on all kinds of prescription meds.

I had a very similar patient. Looking at her from a few feet away, one eye looked much bluer than the other.

I had a funny one a few years back. Local general practitioner called me asking to see a patient of hers as she thought she may have glaucoma. "Sure" I thought but when she described a few months history of one uncomfortable red eye, worse in the morning, gradually resolves, vision a bit fuzzy in that eye it sounded plausible so I fitted her in.

Didn't take long to see a contact lens sitting right on her cornea. "How long have you worn contact lenses for?" "I don't wear contact lenses." "Well there's one in your eye." "How did that get there?" "How the $€¥% would I know!" Round and round like that for a few minutes until she remembered having a contact lens trial about 6/12 prior. She was told she wasn't suitable as they couldn't get a lens in her eyes - turns out that they had - they just forgot to take it out again.

10 minutes after removal eye white and quiet. Quick look at her glasses and she was only about +0.75 so that explained the slight blur.

"Maybe I'll go back and try contact lenses again."

""Maybe you should go somewhere else to try them again!"

Reactions: Adam Lusk

http://www.bmj.com/content/358/bmj.j2783 (needs subscription or free trial)

Seems weird it wasn't picked up pre-op/biometry etc. And it was the anaesthetist who discovered it!