DOJ Clears Optometry Org To Expand Purchasing Power - Law360

Article looks very interesting, can anyone copy paste?

What optometry org are we speaking of?

This snippet from Google.

upload_2020-1-18_8-6-26.png

Here is the copy of the email I received-

Breaking news: AOAExcel® GPO to add additional optical products to help AOA members compete
M_zd24n6mm7XsKG4uv7a7ULYrjTMy2Pl0CyUzIvSdLuB2Yg860_2pvUA_wwA0Aze-SXGp-mgJ1mG0LFN6fmGSdnnyqPzsaZvCjQr4qYk=s0-d-e1-ft

Competitive pricing on optical products, such as contact lenses, frames and lenses through the AOAExcel® group purchasing organization (GPO) helps AOA members provide cost-competitive, quality care to patients .

"The GPO is a tool to help our members participate in the coming wave of value-based health care programs."
In partnership with the health care GPO Intalere, AOAExcel is expanding the selection of business products and services already available to AOA members, such as professional liability insurance, credit card processing, life insurance, office and medical supplies, to include optometric-specific products for consumer resale. Intalere, acting as the AOAExcel GPO's third-party agent, will begin negotiating discounts on contact lenses, frames and lens materials to be included in the AOAExcel GPO, in turn allowing members to provide high-quality and more economically competitive optical products, reduce acquisition costs, and allow members to better compete in the highly competitive eye care market.

"This new development improves an already-great member benefit. I encourage all AOA members to take advantage of the GPO and all of the programs and services offered by AOAExcel. They are designed to help you thrive and excel," says AOA President Barbara L. Horn, O.D.

Available as an AOA member benefit (enrollment required), the AOAExcel GPO uses Intalere to independently negotiate discounted prices or rates from vendors, manufacturers and distributors. These savings-on the things that doctors of optometry need to run their practice-allow GPO members access to competitively priced optical goods. That way, members can offer better prices to patients, as well as provide the quality health care that they believe is essential.

In this regard, the AOAExcel GPO intends to offer optical products from an array of manufacturers so members can provide the product most suited for their patient's medical needs while still obtaining lower costs.

"The GPO is a tool to help our members participate in the coming wave of value-based health care programs. The GPO helps AOA-member doctors of optometry participate as valuable members of Accountable Care Organizations by providing high-quality and extremely cost-competitive health care," says Joe Ellis, O.D., chair of the AOAExcel board.

The forthcoming expansion into optometric-specific products adds to the discounted rates and prices that AOAExcel GPO members already enjoy on popular practice management solutions and business vendors, including:

• Office Depot
  • Staples
  • Sprint
  • Verizon
  • FedEx
  • UPS
  • Pitney Bowes
  • Henry Schein
  • McKesson
  • BioDOptix
"Already, many AOA members take advantage of this member benefit for the significant savings they receive on dozens of office and business solutions that their practices use routinely," says Bob Kehm, AOAExcel managing director. "We are thrilled to expand our portfolio's offerings to bring that much more value to AOA members."

Although the AOAExcel GPO is available to all AOA members, participation in the GPO is optional and members are not obligated to purchase any products through the GPO. Additionally, Intalere will serve as a third-party negotiator on prices with GPO suppliers. Any discounts negotiated by the AOAExcel GPO will permit individual doctors of optometry to better compete in providing overall patient care services and will not raise prices to consumers.

Learn more about other optometric business and career services offered by AOAExcel.

Please enable JavaScript to view the <a href="http://disqus.com/?ref_noscript">comments powered by Disqus.</a> comments powered by Disqust

Reactions: Frederick Frost
So now the AOA is copying what iDoc and Vision Source do? Kudos.

Reactions: Joe DiGiorgio O.D.
So now the AOA is copying what iDoc and Vision Source do? Kudos.

My thoughts exactly! They need to kept their focus on being a advocate for the profession-which IMO they need to get better at. Some may argue they can do both- I am not so sure.

They can't do both...they aren't even doing a good job of promoting us....after years of throwing money at advertising, many patients still don't know that Optometrists treat eye disease...a total failure on AOA's part....they had the chance with their TAYE...think about your eyes....but not one commercial saying OD's treat disease.

How about them trying at inter-professional relationships.....as of today....MD's are still being taught not to send diabetics to an optometrist.

I guess with falling membership and having to pay for BC...this is their latest attempt.....let's see if they can come close to the discounts from established entities...ie iDoc, other buying groups.

They can't do both...they aren't even doing a good job of promoting us....after years of throwing money at advertising, many patients still don't know that Optometrists treat eye disease...a total failure on AOA's part....they had the chance with their TAYE...think about your eyes....but not one commercial saying OD's treat disease.

How about them trying at inter-professional relationships.....as of today....MD's are still being taught not to send diabetics to an optometrist.

I guess with falling membership and having to pay for BC...this is their latest attempt.....let's see if they can come close to the discounts from established entities...ie iDoc, other buying groups.
Definitely the AOA's fault that providers do not charge for contact lens exams and bill routine insurance for DM eye exams. No, the problem is ourselves, people need to stop blaming the AOA.

Reactions: Frederick Frost
Perhaps they are trying to do some value added services for members to get product at attractive rates, and maybe even opportunities to provide eyecare to groups. By optometry for optometry. But this time our association owns the program. Maybe docs could find it very advantageous to join to AOA for many reasons.

Definitely the AOA's fault that providers do not charge for contact lens exams and bill routine insurance for DM eye exams. No, the problem is ourselves, people need to stop blaming the AOA.

It IS the AOA's fault that their TAYE program is useless except to promote commercial outlets. You don't partner up with the Vision Council of America if you want to promote a "profession", if you want to promote an "industry" then maybe its OK.

It IS their fault that in spite of the fact they take a portion of my dues and appropriate it to promote the profession, no one knows what we do.

Yes, we can fault ourselves for some of our problems, but I expect more from our professional association. I don't see any ROI on their advertising.

It IS the AOA's fault that their TAYE program is useless except to promote commercial outlets. You don't partner up with the Vision Council of America if you want to promote a "profession", if you want to promote an "industry" then maybe its OK.

It IS their fault that in spite of the fact they take a portion of my dues and appropriate it to promote the profession, no one knows what we do.

Yes, we can fault ourselves for some of our problems, but I expect more from our professional association. I don't see any ROI on their advertising.

And my AOA dues check is sitting there waiting to be paid. Somebody remind me why I should be paying this?

And my AOA dues check is sitting there waiting to be paid. Somebody remind me why I should be paying this?

Same reason I pay mine...the mantra is.........."We are a legislated profession, yada yada yada."

You would not have the scope of practice you do today without the work of AOA members in the past.

I cannot go into details but I promise all of you the association is working hard and there are always things in the works. Your dues are the best money you will ever spend to help yourself and your profession.

Reactions: Ed Makler
You would not have the scope of practice you do today without the work of AOA members in the past.

I cannot go into details but I promise all of you the association is working hard and there are always things in the works. Your dues are the best money you will ever spend to help yourself and your profession.

How about giving it all to my State Association?

But- the AOA has to be a good steward of the funds they receive in forms of dues. BC was not all that long ago and was a failure at a significant loss. A loss in multiple ways - the initial investment from the AOA, a loss in trust and correspondingly the loss of membership. It is the latter that I believe the AOA is trying to recover by becoming a buying group.

I remain to this day a skeptical supporter of the AOA and a strong supporter of the OOA.

Reactions: Larry Greidinger