ODwire.org Supporting Member
Mar 19, 2003
School/Org
UC Berkeley School of Optometry
City
San Mateo
State
CA
I wasn't sure where to put this but how do people feel about Mr Imus' most recent (gaff)?

Back to Imus, he was canned today by CBS Radio and the day before by MSNBC. Who wins?

Richard_Hom said:
I wasn't sure where to put this but how do people feel about Mr Imus' most recent (gaff)?

Imus ranted and raved when Harold Ford Jr recently lost his Senate race due to, as Imus believed, racial reasons. Former Congressman Ford, who is black, was by some folks estimation (including Imus') the better candidate for the Senate Seat in Tennessee. Imus repeatedly has expressed his disgust for the fact that race, rather than ability, seems to have, in his opinion, affected the outcome of this particular election.

Imus also pointed out the racial and social inequities illustrated by Hurricane Katrina. He repeatedly slamented how unfortunate it was that if Hurricane Katrina had struck a rich, white area that the Federal Government and other rescue services would have had a more timely and effective response, while, in his opinion, the predominantly poor and black residents had been essentially ignored.

Not stances you would expect someone who is racially intolerant to espouse.

If you listen (well, listened to...past tense) to his program you would probably get to know that underneath the acerbic and sometimes offensive 'humor', there is a very informative and in depth political and social discourse.

As for the jokes, parody and skits that they feature on their show, they are equal opportunity offenders. Whether they are mocking politicians, celebrities, women, gays, blacks, hispanics, catholics, rich people, fat people, stupid people, or, most importantly, themselves...no one is immune from their 'humor'. He regularly refers to Hillary Clinton as, "Satan" and evil, and Dick Cheny as, "a war criminal". The derogatory comments that each of the show members hurl towards one another, and especially the host Don Imus (they often state how anxious they are for him to drop dead), are as offensive as you can imagine, but they are taken in stride because of their context...parody and humor.

The fact is that what he said was offensive, especially considering that the targets of this gaff were apparently very talented and smart women. But the old saying about 'sticks and stones' may have some place in this discussion. It was not the school president, or coach, or professor, or mentor...anyone who holds sway in these women's lives who said these things to these women. That would be permanantly damaging. It was an aging talk show host who made a flippant and inappropriate comment trying to get a laugh who went too far.

In this day and age, when Rush Limbaugh can call the Duke accuser a 'ho' (and mean it), and Ann Coulter can call John Edwards a fa&&ot [please forgive the uncouth examples, but these two just about floored me when I heard them], and the hubbub dies down in a matter of hours, I wonder where the line is supposed to be drawn, and why we go after some folks, but leave others relatively unscathed.

Were Imus' comments ugly and inappropriate? Absolutely. Do they merit this kind of attention? I didn't think so...But I've been wrong before.

Just my two cents.

AA

Sorry to say it, but Imus' many off-beat remarks remind me more of someone slipping into senility, than of someone who is a racist. His remarks are awkward, inconsistent, and offensive to just about everyone.

That being said, how about Howard Stern?? or rappers??

Good point.

How does one get singled out? By age? By their perceived weakness? How do community leaders choose who will be "toppled"

all jokes are offensive to someone.

some have a longer way to fall, no one cares what I say... but I have few advertising contracts yet.

richard, whats your definition of "community leader?"

J Sunday said:
all jokes are offensive to someone.

some have a longer way to fall, no one cares what I say... but I have few advertising contracts yet.

richard, whats your definition of "community leader?"

I was a bit "tongue-in-cheek" on this because it was a rhetorical question left open for further discussion.

I'll take a stab at it. It's the emotional, moral and spiritual leader of a segment or audience of a particular person or group of persons who share one or more common themes.

As it turns out, Imus wasn't fired because he made racial and sexist slurs...He was fired because he became a liability, and started losing money for his employer. Howard Stern, and demeaning rap music lyrics are still making money, so they are still on the air.

Frank Pirozzolo said:
As it turns out, Imus wasn't fired because he made racial and sexist slurs...He was fired because he became a liability, and started losing money for his employer. Howard Stern, and demeaning rap music lyrics are still making money, so they are still on the air.

The sad part is the market wasn't allowed to work here. Sponsors pulled their support but there would have been others willing to fill the void. In the end, this was mafia-like intimidation that resulted in his firing.

Last edited:
An economic boycott?

Economic boycotts are always the most effective way to "legislate" behavior. It can be argued that morals and biases cannot be absolved or cleansed by legislation, and that "purifying" anyone of these notions isn't realistic.

But what we can modify is the official capacity of an individual who may display, promote or promulgate biased, sexist or racist views over those who do not have a similar mechanism of retort.

The American success with cohabitation and colocation of our many varied populations hinges on groups of people not having an unbridled scope of behavior that runs roughshod over minority populations without any redress.

If Don Imus wanted to express his views, did he have to do it on his radio/Cable show? Is there a "safe" venue to express biased views?

Jeffrey J. Kiener said:
Rich, I know your intentions are good.

However, if you think about it, this was NOT that big a deal. It didn't amount to a hill of beans in the offended people's lives...sticks and stones vs. names.

Jeff,

Talking, of course, for the sake of conversation.

What I think that is most suprising is the lack of comment from the rest of the silent majority. Why should the African American Community be the only ones to complain about it?

Is it because if they don't say anything about me, I'm safe? Is it because we would be afraid to object Don Imus and we feel a community guilt that it's okay to pick on people who cannot respond back?

What do you think?

What scares me the most is the fact that nobody in the media is talking about freedom of speech. What I'm getting out of this whole debacle is that people feel you can have freedom of speech as long as there aren't many people listening. Scary thought.

I don't think freedom of speech is an issue here. Imus wasn't arrested or assaulted for what he said. Other "groups" used their freedom of speech (kind of like I did with the Dixie Chicks ;) ) to denounce his racist comments, and indirectly swayed his employer to can him.

Definitely a huge double standard in this case. HUGE. But.....this is one of the great things I love about this country. Everybody gets their say, the cards lie where they fall, no one gets arrested or physically damaged. Or do they?

We've really got to get a grip people or this kind of crap is never going away.

Last edited by a moderator:
What concerns me more is the constant use of the "offensive comment" in the media coverage.

I'd never heard of Imus before all this, but I think I've read his words printed in at least 5 or 6 newspaper articles since. If it was so offensive, would the papers really be printing it? It just seems inappropriate to repeat an offensive comment.

Stephen McDaniel said:
I don't think freedom of speech is an issue here. Imus wasn't arrested or assaulted for what he said. Other "groups" used their freedom of speech (kind of like I did with the Dixie Chicks ;) ) to denounce his racist comments, and indirectly swayed his employer to can him.

He wasn't assaulted or arrested but his livelihood was taken away from him for essentially doing what he was paid to do. His audience wasn't offended- other people were. Should a minority get fired from their job if they voice their opinion that their race is superior and should be heading the company? It might not be nice but he sure doesn't deserve to lose his/her job.

If I signed his pay check, I'd want the ability to let him go if he threatened the economic viability of the company. I think all of the big contracts now-a-days have behavior clauses, so I'm pretty sure they were within their rights to fire him.

In a sense, when Imus was fire, it was his boss exercising his freedom of speech.

This is my last response on this topic, as it is Googleable on this forum.