Staff member
Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR

In this ODwire TV segment, we speak with Dr. Michele Andrews, Sr. Director of Professional & Academic Affairs at CooperVision about the science and clinical usefulness of the new Biofinity Energys contact lens.

Learn how the lens works, and which patients can best utilize it!

CooperVision is also offering free marketing materials to docs who want to Rx the lens.

Visit this site to order the materials for your patients.

Thanks again to Michele for taking the time. I'm curious to hear what the marketing material that CooperVision provides looks like "in the flesh".... feel free to post & let us know if you've used the link above & received some.

-- ad

It looks like a very low add center near aspheric MF.

I'm guessing they used the "D" design and probably shrunk the near zone diameter a few tenths of a millimeter and limited the add power to +0.50-+0.75.

Sounds a heck of a lot like the Proclear 1D MF design, which is very good.

I think this will be a useful lens, for emerging presbyopes and presbyopes with uncorrected cylinder. "When you need a multifocal contact lens, but you need only the slightest touch."

Marketing it to younger patients is not a bad thing, at all. It will degrade DVA some, but not much.

The cost is important.

It looks like a very low add center near aspheric MF.

I'm guessing they used the "D" design and probably shrunk the near zone diameter a few tenths of a millimeter and limited the add power to +0.50-+0.75.

Sounds a heck of a lot like the Proclear 1D MF design, which is very good.

I think this will be a useful lens, for emerging presbyopes and presbyopes with uncorrected cylinder. "When you need a multifocal contact lens, but you need only the slightest touch."

Marketing it to younger patients is not a bad thing, at all. It will degrade DVA some, but not much.

The cost is important.
Did you confuse D and N? I know back in the old days they marketed a D aspheric, I think it was called Proclear EP for "emerging presbyopes". It was a pretty good lens, when it centered perfectly.

I used this new beast four times thus far. 2 of the 4 patients (formerly in Biofinity) reported both distance AND near vision improvement, one said near was a bit better, no change in distance and the fourth found no difference, perhaps a decrease in distance and went back to her Biofinity.

I don't think across the board I would blindly replace my go-to BF with BFE. Messing around with aspheric optics isn't always a plus. Often it is helpful. But I would surely do an on-eye comparison for my emerging presbyopes before resorting to the other measures.

Off-topic, I apologize: BFMF D lens is indeed center-distance.
Proclear dailies MF is center near (I believe).

I know back in the old days they marketed a D aspheric, I think it was called Proclear EP for "emerging presbyopes". It was a pretty good lens,

We had many good results with this lens for "emerging presbyopes"

@Jeff Are you thinking the Proclear MF Daily is of similar design?

Please alert the good doctor who is assisting in the promotion of the lens that his left eye piece of his Bio Microscope needs the foundation makeup cleaned off.

As far as the Engergys, I have had nothing but success with the lens. I don't promote monthly replacement so it has a small footprint. We all know Biofinity platform is proven and worn well by many patients. This is an easy concept and I do use it as even the next level of technology. Again, I am becoming more convinced that monthly is a bit long for many lens wearers.

I've said this before. It does not matter whether a lens is marketed for one day, one week, two weeks or a month. It has little (with some exceptions) to do with the functional life expectancy, comfort and vision and eye health.

Dailies chases away all the downsides. That being said, it is a fact of life that some people can wear any given lens for a month and they look almost brand new and someone else, the second day and they look horrible.

When a patient desires monthlies, it's mostly because of cost. I get that. I have them back for quickie follow ups at two weeks and one month. If the lenses look "less than useful" (and hopefully they have associated symptoms, that helps a lot) I suggest (much) shorter replacement intervals. We look at the costs, including changing to different modalities. Eye health, end of day and long term comfort are harped upon.

Reactions: Diane Robbins-Luce