Google Health cutting ODs out of the loop?

James Pyle

Sep 13, 2006
School/Org
Pennsylvania College of Optometry
City
Hutchinson
State
KS
I had recently heard at a state meeting that Google was working on online health record storage and was checking it out tonight.

I set up an account since I use gmail (Google email) anyway. I added myopia and astigmatism to my profile each then becomes listed onscreen with a refrence link about the medical condition. Each gave a description of the condition and at the bottom each has a section on "when to contact a doctor". Each description indicated to see your health care provider or Ophthalmologist. I'm not sure if this is of any concern or not?

If you're already a gmail user just log on at www.google.com/health if you want to check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
And have you read the reference article?

Horribly written article too, citing RK but not PRK?

Stating that atropine is ineffective in reducing myopia?

Saying that there isn't a link between reading/near work and myopia?

Not up to google standards. I'll post my letter to them.

FWIW, optometry is in their list of specialties if you want to do a search.

And I don't come anywhere near the top with a search of "optometrist st. louis". Damn you, Todd LaPoint, how did you get up that high on the list?:p

ETA (edited to add): they do have a feedback survey. That seems as good a place as any to bitch about this stuff. It's funny that for myopia they say to see an ophthalmologist but for glaucoma they say to see "your health care provider".

Last edited: