**hurray For Optometrist Heroes !**

Paul brought up an interesting point in another post here.

Optometrists RARELY get credit as a "hero".

I'm not talking about saving someone's sight, or even a life professionally, not even the behavioral ODs who daily change the lives of 'suffering kids'.

I'm talking about ODs as CITIZENS, who have done something
outstanding as a citizen. There have been 1000's & 1000's of ODs, all 'citizens', members of society,.... PEOPLE.....certainly some
(likely many), who have done an outstanding deed, task, or developed and outstanding idea, that has truly made a difference
in their community, State, even nation.

People who just happen to be ODs, but have, as a human being,
done a heroic deed for others, or humanity.

Paul noted that they rarely get credit from their own profession,
including the organized groups they belong to.

Give some thought.......

Tell us about an OD you know, who is, or has acted like a HERO!

Len Kauffman,OD

Just my two cents but I would like to nominate every optometrist that goes into work every day seeing patients (even the ones that don't care), deal with insurance companies (even the ones that don't care, deal with other professionals (even the ones that don't care).

All this and still does a great job trying to help patients take care of their eyes.

no arguments here, Brad...

I couldn't agree more.....

What I was looking for here, though, were those ODs
being heroic as a human being, (other than our tortures
of being ODs).....

C'mon, Paul told of one.... there must be countless others now or in the past.....

Len Kauffman OD

Nominate an O.D. as Humanitarian of the Year

The timing of this thread couldn't be better! Review of Optometry is currently soliciting nominations for our first Humanitarian of the Year award. The details and link are below:

"Humanitarian of the Year"
A Special Report from Review of Optometry
_
Do you know an O.D. who devotes his or her time to humanitarian efforts? Review of Optometry is looking across the profession to recognize those optometrists who give from the heart to the community.

Click here (http://www.revoptom.com/nomination/humanitarian.asp) to nominate a worthy optometrist.

Now's your chance to get those worthy O.D.s the recognition they deserve. I hope you will all nominate someone who has been influential and inspirational.

Michelle Boyles

BC Hero

Dr. Robert Somerville of Campbell River, BC recently retired. He spent 50 years with the search and rescue team as a dive master, paramedic, emergency channel monitor and advocate. He is considered in his community to be a local hero who donated a lot of time as a volunteer in these services and was featured in a recent newspaper article.
Most optometrists in BC did not likely know about his off-duty work until his retirement last year.
I believe there must be other rural OD's who serve with the local fire and rescue departments other than Bob and myself . Anyone else out there?