i-Lid Cleanser: A New Treatment for Blepharitis

I got a confusing letter from Ocusoft this AM regarding hypochlorous acid. They are stating in should be used in addition to lid scrubs? i.e. Patients would continue to use regular Ocusoft or Ocusoft Plus and add Hypochlorous Acid for severe cases of bleph?

Is that correct?

Hate to lose all that business for typical Ocusoft.
LOL
They act like the product that they sell as well as NovaBay's doesn't have a surfactant. Like who exactly cares?
I ordered the Ocusoft one.its half the price..I know..I know..Panzer doesn't care about price.
But to just have a bunch on the shelf, I prefer the more economical one.

I tried to Rx the NovaBay..but the pharmacies didn't have it. And if its going to be Rx, they ought to have it available before telling me it is.

Since there isn't a CPT for this, or for extensive meibomian gland expression which I do quite a bit of, how does one calculate a fair price to charge? This is especially important in the case of Demodex because there's a hard cost.

BTW, I think is funny that we all of the sudden think we have new groundbreaking info on the etiology of blepharitis. I've known about Demodex since my residency in 1990. I didn't have a great treatment, but it's VERY common and easily recognizable. Now that someone has figured out a way to charge a gazillion dollars for an OTC ingredient that seems to be effective, EVERYONE needs specialized treatment.

Like ProKera, there are rare times where the full court press is warranted and it isn't nearly as frequent for either as BioTissue promotes. I just happen to have one right now that's the worst I've ever seen.

Thanks!

I tell patients it is available at Whole Foods, New Seasons (local) and Sally's Beauty Supply. We have some in the office and they can take a picture of it on their phone and get it from the store or buy it from us. The 50% causes little to mild corneal inflammation and the eye is rinses post scrub, after the second lid. The shampoo concentration I have not been able to verify despite many attempts, but someone, here maybe, said the shampoo is 5%. They rub it on with their eyes closed and then rinse it off.

Jeff's definition of the term therapeutic must be different than mine. I'd classify getting the crap off there as therapeutic. I suppose the tea tree oil may not be doing a thing. Perhaps just scrubbing the stuff off along with a much more serious (than baby shampoo) recommendation to scrub at home makes is what is making a difference. I'm willing to consider that possibility, but my sense is that the tea tree oil/shampoo is making the difference.

I don't recommend this often. But when the build up is significant, this seems to work quite well. I have one patient who has this significant build-up but wasn't symptomatic to begin with. Tough to convince anybody without symptoms to do anything. -Charlie

Without a "take home" daily response; like daily teeth-brushing, lid disease and dysfunction is forever.

Hate to lose all that business for typical Ocusoft.
LOL
They act like the product that they sell as well as NovaBay's doesn't have a surfactant. Like who exactly cares?
I ordered the Ocusoft one.its half the price..I know..I know..Panzer doesn't care about price.
But to just have a bunch on the shelf, I prefer the more economical one.

I tried to Rx the NovaBay..but the pharmacies didn't have it. And if its going to be Rx, they ought to have it available before telling me it is.
The good news is that the pharmacies have it now.
The bad news is that they are pricing it at $200.00+

I've used both Avenova and HypoChlor on myself. I can tell no difference between the two. Therefore, I'm using HypoChlor as part of my daily routine.