Illinois College of Optometry Announces $3.5 Million Renovation to Lecture Center - P

ODwire.org NewsBot

NewsBot
Staff member
Jul 30, 2007
School/Org
Newsbot U
City
Barre
State
VT
Last edited by a moderator:
"The renovation of the Lecture Center will have a tremendous impact on our students," said ICO President Dr. Arol Augsburger. "Making this investment in ICO's facility further enhances our ability to educate future generations of optometrists and reinforces our commitment to excellence in optometric clinical education."

Sure will have a tremendous impact. Like raising your tuition:p

Any recent ICO grads or students care to comment on the state of the lecture hall. Do you really think you'll learn better with HD screens? Do you really need power outlets everywhere lest you forget to charge your laptop battery? Do you really need "colleague interaction" in a lecture hall?

Reminds me of this old article:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,561482,00.html

That was 2003 and it's only gotten worse.

Still paying my tuition off 16 years out. I feel for the new OD students and the debt they are going to have to service in order to attend that school. The ratios of financial reward to debt are skewed out of the favor of attending any optometry school. I will not be encouraging my children to follow in my foot steps down this career path.

Still paying my tuition off 16 years out. I feel for the new OD students and the debt they are going to have to service in order to attend that school. The ratios of financial reward to debt are skewed out of the favor of attending any optometry school. I will not be encouraging my children to follow in my foot steps down this career path.

I remember interviewing there in 1996 and thinking their lecture hall was the nicest of the ones I visited.

I just did a lecture at UMSL in a classroom in a building that wasn't even dedicated for the optometry school. At IU we were in a bare bones classroom. Are students at those two institutions getting inferior educations?

I think it's funny that ICO feels it has to spend big bucks for bells and whistles to justify its high tuition, but spending on the bells and whistles just makes the tuition higher:eek:

The lecture centre is already nice enough, already lots of technology. At the most maybe it needs new carpet, wallpaper and ceiling tiles. Reclining cinema chairs would be a great addition though! :)