Dec 28, 2000
www.odwire.org
School/Org
Columbia University / PCO
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
CEwire2015 is a great success. We are analyzing the program to make future on line events even more seamless.

One thing that stood out, of our over 1300 registration a full 20% were Canadians. This is far greater proportion than our our Canadian ODwire.org membership.

Canadian ODs, share with us why you registered for CEwire2015? Was it the quality of courses,low cost and convenience? That is what we would have expected.

Did you receive C/E credit in greater proportion by your provincial College than offered by US State Boards? Anything we overlooked?

Thank you for your participation.

Last edited:
CEwire2015 is a great success. We are analyzing the program to make future on line events even more seamless.

One thing that stood out, of our over 1300 registration a full 20% were Canadians. This is far greater proportion than our our Canadian ODwire.org membership.

Canadian ODs, share with us why you registered for CEwire2015? Was it the quality of courses,low cost and convenience? That is what we would have expected.

Did you receive C/E credit in greater proportion by your provincial College than offered by US State Boards? Anything we overlooked?

Thank you for your participation.

My (totally uninformed) opinion -- the provinces allow more online CE than most states in the US. Otherwise, I can't fathom why the response rate was so high.

I'm going to go on record again calling out Florida for not allowing any CE credits online -- I would like to hear someone from the state board explain why they lag so far behind literally all other states in that respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I would ask the powers that be in the USA..Do you think ANY patient outcome would change IF all CE can be obtained cheaply and efficiently like cewire2015.com? Do you think one patients care would suffer??

And I would ask the powers that be in the USA..Do you think ANY patient outcome would change IF all CE can be obtained cheaply and efficiently like cewire2015.com? Do you think one patients care would suffer??
I think if there were adverse impacts on patient care, we'd have seen it by now. It would be great if there was some standardization around these issues.

I checked with our registrar and she informed me that in NB there's no limit on online CE hours so long as there's a test at the end.

So yeah, perhaps it's that Canadian provinces are more accepting of online CE hours as a whole.

I need to start chipping away at those courses. I know I've got the better part of 3 months to do it, but I've only done an hour so far. Procrastination FTL. :(

I checked with our registrar and she informed me that in NB there's no limit on online CE hours so long as there's a test at the end.

So yeah, perhaps it's that Canadian provinces are more accepting of online CE hours as a whole.

I need to start chipping away at those courses. I know I've got the better part of 3 months to do it, but I've only done an hour so far. Procrastination FTL. :(

after doing a little digging, on average the provinces do allow for more online CE than the states. The regional differences are still there though -- and I don't understand quebec's laws, as the only ones I could find were in french :(

yes this conference was low hanging fruit as far as CE goes--fantastic

yes this conference was low hanging fruit as far as CE goes--fantastic

Glad you enjoyed it! Just a reminder, it is still going on; people can register & take the courses through August 17th.

thanks!
ad

I'll pass that along that you can still register and do the tests to some colleagues

hi, I am in alberta, and over here the ce requirements system has been changed recently, so even i am not sure how it works exactly, i do know that we can claim online education. for that reason, and also for the good price and quality of the education, I am quite happy.
thanks a lot!

I'm from Ontario. I signed up because it's a great deal for many hours of CE and it's for charity. I actually didn't even look at how many hours I can claim, I was just interested in the lectures.

After doing quite a few of these lectures, I found that many of them were very informative and great quality. US optometry as a profession is a bit more medically oriented and advanced than in Canada and a lot of the CE in the US reflects this so I personally enjoy CE from the US more for that reason. Great work guys!

Reactions: Bill C. Thompson OD
I'm from Ontario. I signed up because it's a great deal for many hours of CE and it's for charity. I actually didn't even look at how many hours I can claim, I was just interested in the lectures.

After doing quite a few of these lectures, I found that many of them were very informative and great quality. US optometry as a profession is a bit more medically oriented and advanced than in Canada and a lot of the CE in the US reflects this so I personally enjoy CE from the US more for that reason. Great work guys!

Thanks Elizabeth, we're hoping to do it all over again soon. We realize that we are nothing without the speakers -- we were just the mechanism that allowed them to give the great talks, so props to them. Hoping the experience was good enogh for them so that they'll come back again :)

ad

Hello all,

I agree with Elizabeth, the quality of the speakers was great. I have attended lectures by Dr. Thimons in the past and really find he is a great source of information, don't know where he has the time.

The only item I wondered about is if Canadian ODs can make use of the great rates/offers by your vendors? (I would assume not..). Will you be attempting to get Canadian vendors in the future?

Thanks!

Hello all,

I agree with Elizabeth, the quality of the speakers was great. I have attended lectures by Dr. Thimons in the past and really find he is a great source of information, don't know where he has the time.

The only item I wondered about is if Canadian ODs can make use of the great rates/offers by your vendors? (I would assume not..). Will you be attempting to get Canadian vendors in the future?

Thanks!

Hi Ivy,

Thanks for the feedback!

This time around we had lots of multinational vendors -- like Vistakon, but also smaller companies too.

So lets ask them directly:

@Leo Hadley Jr. - does VSI ship to Canada?

@Matt Lowenstein - does QuikEyes work north of the border?

Thanks!
Adam