JobsNow: Career field growing for eye doctors - WKBN.com

Apparently this guy missed the oversupply memo and the three studies that showed it. It is crazy to think that anyone would consider this profession under supplied as we have the worst oversupply in the medical field.

Reactions: Donald bader
Apparently this guy missed the oversupply memo and the three studies that showed it. It is crazy to think that anyone would consider this profession under supplied as we have the worst oversupply in the medical field.

Sounds like there is an acute shortage of optometrist in Ohio. I would encourage all newly graduated OD's to go to Ohio to practice. :)

On a more serious note, it is articles like this that encourages college graduates to become OD's. An aging population and employment is projected to grow 30%. Sounds great for the profession!

So who is going to contact WKBN and present them with the evidence that there is an oversupply of OD's? Do you think WKBN will publish a counterpoint?

Looks like Dr. Bloomberg is not far from retirement looking at his picture. Maybe it's to his benefit if there are more OD graduates when the time comes for him to sell his practice.

Looks like Dr. Bloomberg is not far from retirement looking at his picture. Maybe it's to his benefit if there are more OD graduates when the time comes for him to sell his practice.
I've wondered about that. I'm 63 and need to plan my exit strategy. I have a private practice in a very nice college town. It is a desirable place to live. Last year I grossed $500K with a 30% net. Not a whole lot, but there are lots of optometrist in Fort Collins. Finding employment and opening a practice cold in this town is difficult.

A lot of OD's on ODWire seem to hire OD's for $350 a day. That's only $80,000 per year. According to https://www.reviewofoptometry.com/article/income-survey-a-turn-for-the-better ,optometrist with less than 10 years in practice had an average pre-tax income of $110,000.

Do you think a surplus of young OD's makes a private practice more marketable?

I've wondered about that. I'm 63 and need to plan my exit strategy. I have a private practice in a very nice college town. It is a desirable place to live. Last year I grossed $500K with a 30% net. Not a whole lot, but there are lots of optometrist in Fort Collins. Finding employment and opening a practice cold in this town is difficult.

A lot of OD's on ODWire seem to hire OD's for $350 a day. That's only $80,000 per year. According to https://www.reviewofoptometry.com/article/income-survey-a-turn-for-the-better ,optometrist with less than 10 years in practice had an average pre-tax income of $110,000.

Do you think a surplus of young OD's makes a private practice more marketable?

I would think the more ODs there are that it would be easier to sell a private practice such as yours. To make a hypothetical point, if there was a long waiting list to see an OD (because of the scarcity of ODs) as there is to see an OMD it might be worthwhile to just open cold and not pay the premium of buying a practice but if there was a glut of ODs (which we all know there is in most areas of USA) it would be tougher to successfully open cold.