LensCrafters, Ray-Ban, and designer brands all mark up their glasses - Vox.com

Ok I'll bite. What was fake about it?
$1.25 will by high quality ophthalmic lenses is but a small part of the fake-ness.
Just cause some dude who sells cheap lenses says they are just as good means said dude is lying or stretching or is clueless. Fake news.

My favorite morning AM radio show did bring it up though. So it got some traction.

No one came in to see me today, they all cancelled this morning, I wonder if this Breaking News has anything to do with that. Just joking, no one cancelled, and two patients walked in and bought proper optics with nicely designed frames with nice material and workmanship. They did not pay 1000% markup.

$1.25 will by high quality ophthalmic lenses is but a small part of the fake-ness.
I'm with you guys on the concept, but the author was simple quoting the ex exec from lux. That's what he said.

By the way, I have no idea what that guy considers "first-rate" lenses or where you can get them for $1.25 but I will say that I have seen some patients bring in some really nice eyewear in from other europe and asia and tell me the prices over there are much better than here.

I think we have to admit that there is a giant machine which prevents true price discovery of our products (when I say price discovery, I'm talking about what could you realistically set your prices at if there were no vision plans?) What could the distributors set their prices to us if there were no vision plans? I have to think the number would be a bit lower but maybe not. We'll probably never know.

Reactions: Diane Robbins-Luce
One of the most disappointing comments in the article was for Mr. Butler the founder of LensCrafters who supposedly said that glasses are “a rip off”. So you’re telling me you rip the public off for years but now that you’re out of the business all of a sudden you tell it like it is???? So ridiculous. The interviewer unfortunately isn’t man enough to call them on it.

We make something that is difficult to make with many considerations to help our patients see clearly and we are entitled to every dollar we make and then some.

I’m so tired of the blame blame blame that is going around. We blame everybody but ourselves for the situation we’re in. When something is perceived as unaffordable, it must be the other person‘s fault for charging too much. It has to stop. Somebody has to stop the insanity. I really have had my fill of it.