Magazines in office

We get almost all our waiting room mags free.
We pride ourselves on having a good selection & lean towards those with lots of pictures & short articles:
People, Sports Illustrated, Time, Nat Geo, Field & Stream, Highlights, Large print Readers Digest, Ladies Home Journal. We also have a few good coffee table books with lots of pics.

Diner's guide, Coast (a local mag for the beach cities), Reader's Digest (get it for free. I won't pay for it), Motor Trend or Car and Driver, newspaper does okay but lots of paper to deal with, recipes.

Absolutely no magazines in the office. I run Eyemaginations in the reception area; I educate the patients on services we offer: dry eyes, macular degeneration, cataracts, optical lens options, etc. It's great.

Free? Do patients bring them in for you? I've had that happen. Saves a bunch.
No.
There's a free waiting room service program that sends you a survey and then places magazine for free, hoping people will subscribe. Over time, you can customize it towards your favorites (but you'll get some with no relevance as well).

You can also use frequent flier miles. Sign up for the FF program for every airline. You'll have a few that you only flew once and will never get a free fight on, but they'll let you turn 3K miles into 3 mag subscriptions.

People is the only one I pay for.

I personally hate waiting rooms where the only thing to look at is informercials. You already have me, why the sales pitch from minute 1? At least give me an alternative.

Want a special practice? Invest in special reading material.

What magazines are in your waiting room? Suggestions for non-offensive material for all ages? What's a hit in your office?

In my former practice, www.eyewise.com there are hard cover coffee table books that are not found in other offices. These may be historical,scientific, cook books with photos of not only the food but the country of origin or humor.

They may be more expensive as an investment but they do not age and the hard covers allow them to last.

We know longer have weekly magazines because they pile up too quickly and we won't bring in the magazines with tabloid gossip like People/US . I always get positive comments from female patients on us having Real Simple. We also have Southern Living, Golf, Conde Nast, Cooking Light, Handyman (another popular mag).

Be careful to look in the back of some magazines for their ads. Some of the sports magazines have sex oriented materials which we didn't want to have in the office.

Brad Middaugh
Fort Myers, FL

People is awful. It's all boob shots.
Don't these 2 sentences contradict each other?

But seriously, we hold back all issues with racy covers or anything my 55 y.o. receptionist finds offensive.

SI's swimsuit issue never makes it to the rack either;)

Don't these 2 sentences contradict each other?

But seriously, we hold back all issues with racy covers or anything my 55 y.o. receptionist finds offensive.

SI's swimsuit issue never makes it to the rack either;)

Is that a play on words?:D

we have mostly a family-oriented mix of magazines with a golf magazine mixed in. We usually run on time, so the reading material doesn't get much use in our office. But we still try to update the material every month.

Throw out the Readers Digest

Make sure you throw out the new Readers Digest with the article entitled "25 Things Your Eye Doctor Won't Tell You."

Make sure you throw out the new Readers Digest with the article entitled "25 Things Your Eye Doctor Won't Tell You."

That was the article that they wanted ODwire.org docs to help write, but everyone here demurred. Did it actually get written?

I received it about 2 weeks ago, read it, and then recycled it. I wish I had hung on to it as I have not found an online link for it.

We quit doing major magazines in the waiting room. Saves a little money (not all are free). Plus I want patients thinking about their eyes and looking at frames while they wait. Not their head down in a magazine.

Caught that Readers Digest issue before it got to the waiting room.
Also the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue, which I am still guarding closely.