Staff member
Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
In this ODwire.org webinar, Melissa Barnett, OD and Susan Resnick, OD help us learn more about ptosis, including causes, diagnosis, treatment landscape, impact on patients, and opportunity for your practice.

Jason Bacharach, MD, introduces the first and only FDA-approved pharmacologic treatment for acquired blepharoptosis, RVL-1201 (oxymetazoline hydrochloride ophthalmic solution), 0.1%, including its mechanism of action and clinical data.

Continue reading...

Attachments

• osmotica-webinar-july-2020.jpg
    osmotica-webinar-july-2020.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 869
Last edited:
Reactions: Frederick Frost
Looking forward to seeing everyone at the show. We're going to talk about RVL-1201, and as you may have heard, this is the first FDA-approved pharmacologic approach to treating Ptosis....

always fun to discuss something new!

-- ad

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the show. We're going to talk about RVL-1201, and as you may have heard, this is the first FDA-approved pharmacologic approach to treating Ptosis....

always fun to discuss something new!

-- ad

I can't listen live at that time unfortunately. Will it be recorded for posterity?

I can't listen live at that time unfortunately. Will it be recorded for posterity?
Indeed, this one should be archived. Register for the live event, the system will send you an e-mail when the archive is available.

thanks
adam

The representative for RVL came over today and did a lunch meeting with the staff.

He was cool young dude right out of college - said he had three days of training before today and I was his first call!

I told him not to worry - I would help him to learn about our profession.

He really seemed to appreciate that and we scheduled a meeting for two weeks from now.

He didn't even have samples to leave - said it just got approved 13 days ago.

Comically, my first patient after lunch had unilateral ptosis of unknown etiology. I told her of our lunch meeting and what was discussed in the office. She said that she wasn't surprised - she knew that God had sent her to me on this day and that I would take care of her problem.

She will be my first patient as soon as samples become available.

Anybody have any clinical experience yet with this new medicine?

The representative for RVL came over today and did a lunch meeting with the staff.

He was cool young dude right out of college - said he had three days of training before today and I was his first call!

He really seemed to appreciate that and we scheduled a meeting for two weeks from now.

Comically, my first patient after lunch had unilateral ptosis of unknown etiology. I told her of our lunch meeting and what was discussed in the office. She said that she wasn't surprised - she knew that God had sent her to me on this day and that I would take care of her problem.

What a wonderful story! The representative was correct about the timing of approval. No clinical experience as of yet since samples are not available. Samples may be available as early as September. I look forward to hearing about your first patient!

Melissa Barnett, OD

Reactions: susan resnick
I asked the sales representative how he found me.

He said they looked at the pharmaceutical utilization rates for optometrists in Texas and all the reps started with the top 10 optometrists in their territories.

He said I was at the top of his top 10!

Go figure...

I asked the sales representative how he found me.

He said they looked at the pharmaceutical utilization rates for optometrists in Texas and all the reps started with the top 10 optometrists in their territories.

He said I was at the top of his top 10!

Go figure...
You Da Man LCT! No surprise to me.

The reps have all just completed their specialized training. They did make some preliminary contacts with doctors prior to training to introduce themselves!

They will be following up with a “detailing” meeting and sampling over the next month or so. None of us has had first hand experience with the product yet, but the investigators report excellent results and no more than the typical occasional stinging, burning very low adverse event rate. I have a list of patients waiting for this!

I had a patient that noticed improvement in his ptosis. He was a chronic Afrin Nasal Spray user....same active ingredient but less concentration. Never connected the dots then. Maybe the nasal route could be beneficial in some patients.

Reactions: Kristin Bartlett
Thanks to everyone who attended -- an archive of the webinar is above at the top of the thread. Ask any follow-up questions in this thread.

-- ad

Sales rep came with drops and breakfast for the office yesterday.

Wrote my first prescription for the drops this morning!

For a bilateral ptosis, would 2.5% phenylepherine be a good trial if instilled on one eye and noticed less ptosis, then the Upneeq should work (prior to having office samples)?

Sales rep came with drops and breakfast for the office yesterday.

Wrote my first prescription for the drops this morning!

In this ODwire.org webinar, Melissa Barnett, OD and Susan Resnick, OD will help us learn more about ptosis, including causes, diagnosis, treatment landscape, impact on patients, and opportunity for your practice.

Jason Bacharach, MD, will introduce the first and only FDA-approved pharmacologic treatment for acquired blepharoptosis, RVL-1201 (oxymetazoline hydrochloride ophthalmic solution), 0.1%, (brand name: Upneeq) including its mechanism of action and clinical data.

Ask questions in the thread below!

View attachment 28415

We are off to a great start! Patients are so impressed with the immediate improvement in cosmesis. I find myself looking at lids now as they enter the room. Amazing how we never really paid attention to this before!

Just be careful as to the etiology. A patient just called me with the results of her EMG. She has MG. I had to argue with several neurologist and finally convinced one to do the EMG. My patient said the neurologist said she did not thing it was MG at the start. After the EMG, she said I was right. The patient was antibody negative too.

Reactions: Kenneth C Dzubey OD
I have never seen a rep yet but have a patient with a persistent ptosis from Bells Palsy. How is this drug Rxd?

One drop per day for ? days. What supply is typical?

Thanks

Upneeq.....another ultra expensive medication that no insurance plan covers.

Two thumbs down.

I have never seen a rep yet but have a patient with a persistent ptosis from Bells Palsy. How is this drug Rxd?

One drop per day for ? days. What supply is typical?

Thanks

NDC 73687-062-15 Carton of 15 single patient-use containers individually foil-pouched provided within a child-resistant zipper bag.

NDC 73687-062-32 Carton of 30 single patient-use containers individually foil-pouched provided within a child-resistant zipper bag.

^^^
As supplied.

1 drop/day in affected eye. Most pt's won't start noticing a change until about 6 wks. Just Rx 1 Carton #15 or #30 single use containers and give then refills you desire. Recall in 6+ wks to document

I don't know if it's effective in Bell's Palsy

Last edited:
Good call Dr Dzubey!

Just got off the phone with the pharmacist at RVL. Upneeq is not indicated for the treatment of ptosis associated with Bell's palsy. He is going to send me a copy of the study results for patients with Bell's. I will post it later.

Good call Dr Dzubey!

Just got off the phone with the pharmacist at RVL. Upneeq is not indicated for the treatment of ptosis associated with Bell's palsy. He is going to send me a copy of the study results for patients with Bell's. I will post it later.

Here is the paper they sent regarding Bell's and Upneeq.

Attachments

• RVL Medical Information Response Document - Bell's Palsy.pdf
    96.9 KB · Views: 879