March Madness..get your picks in!!

As a former baller..and I have the splinters to prove it...my favorite time of the year!!!
my favorite time but only when Pitt gets in and this year a bit robbed with UVa getting in and not my Panthers :(

will still pick a few brackets as I usually do with everyone in the family and have won several pools over the years :)

my favorite time for sure next year as I'm hoping Pitt holds on to their talented guards

this year I like UConn but think their region is the toughest

After St. Johns got screwed I'm not watching. They were 2 miles from where I grew up. Mullins and Berry with Marc Jackson was a team!

After St. Johns got screwed I'm not watching. They were 2 miles from where I grew up. Mullins and Berry with Marc Jackson was a team!
20-13 with home losses to BC, Dayton and Michigan and lost 4 of last 10 >>>>> not screwed imo

but coulda been in ahead of several other weak teams including UVa, Miss St and Tex A&M, Drake, Boise, New Mex, Mich St

20-13 with home losses to BC, Dayton and Michigan and lost 4 of last 10 >>>>> not screwed imo

but coulda been in ahead of several other weak teams including UVa, Miss St and Tex A&M, Drake, Boise, New Mex, Mich St
Won 6 of the last 7 and their only loss was to #1 seed UConn by 5 and their net of 32 was the highest to be snubbed QED

They WON 6 of last 7
OK you watch then while the 2nd highest to be snubbed is home. I'll stick to my Knicks, Rangers,s Yankees and now a very good NY Jets team while you watch all the one-and-done who never attended a class except basket weaving play in what is in fact the minor leagues of the NBA

You guys really do not know anything about Mississippi State. We are an 8 seed so it is not like we sneaked in.

Net ranking: Miss St 31 St. John 32 Pitt 40
Schedule Strength: Miss St 12th St Johns 68th Pitt 95th

Weak schedules kept those schools at home not any kind of snub. Mississippi State played a brutal schedule and had 3 wins against top 10 teams. We played 14 games against teams in the NCAA tournament including 7 games against top 10 teams.

Last edited:
You guys really should not pretend to know about Mississippi State.

Net ranking: Miss St 31 St. John 32 Pitt 40
Schedule Strength: Miss St 12th St Johns 68th Pitt 95th

Weak schedules kept those schools at home not any kind of snub. Mississippi State played a brutal schedule and had 3 wins against top 10 teams. We played 14 games against teams in the NCAA tournament including 7 games against top 10 teams.
Iowa States week nonconference schedule kept them from the number one seed and let UH in. Schedules do matter!

Oh. And some of these conference tournaments with the automatic bid create issues. NC State over Carolina as an example.

And better yet, Brown at 13-18 was less than a second from beating Yale in the Ivy tournament and getting the automatic bid.

Oh. And some of these conference tournaments with the automatic bid create issues. NC State over Carolina as an example.

And better yet, Brown at 13-18 was less than a second from beating Yale in the Ivy tournament and getting the automatic bid.
This is what makes the madness great. Gotta win to play!

hindsight on weak OOC by Pitt as preseason tournament games turned out to be against teams that won virtually nothing later

care to comment on the GaTech or Southern loss

8-10 SEC record

losing 5 of last 10

OOC weakness was unfortunate with Pitt but NOT scheduled as much as happened, they did have a horrible loss to Missouri and IMO ignoring end of season play as a very meaningful factor to decide the best teams to enter the end of season tournament is pure idiocy

the SEC overall is strong but 8-10 with a weak finish? c'mon

but I hope they destroy Mich St!!!

hindsight on weak OOC by Pitt as preseason tournament games turned out to be against teams that won virtually nothing later

care to comment on the GaTech or Southern loss

8-10 SEC record

losing 5 of last 10

OOC weakness was unfortunate with Pitt but NOT scheduled as much as happened, they did have a horrible loss to Missouri and IMO ignoring end of season play as a very meaningful factor to decide the best teams to enter the end of season tournament is pure idiocy

the SEC overall is strong but 8-10 with a weak finish? c'mon

but I hope they destroy Mich St!!!
Look at those 5 losses (all tournament teams): Kentucky at the buzzer, at Alabama, South Carolina in OT, Auburn, and at Texas A&M. Find me a tougher 5 game stretch anywhere in the country. Just because a team beats 5 cupcakes to end the year does not mean they are a hot team. Most teams wouldn't sniff the NIT with our schedule.

Also in those two losses you mentioned we were missing our best player, Tolu Smith, who did not even play until January.

There are some teams that might not deserve to be in the tournament but State ain't one of them. Excluding a team that played the 12th hardest schedule and still won 21 games would discourage anyone from ever playing a tough schedule. Might as well play the 95th toughest like Pitt if that were the case. ;)

Last edited:
Look at those 5 losses (all tournament teams): Kentucky at the buzzer, at Alabama, South Carolina in OT, Auburn, and at Texas A&M. Find me a tougher 5 game stretch anywhere in the country. Just because a team beats 5 cupcakes to end the year does not mean they are a hot team. Most teams wouldn't sniff the NIT with our schedule.
we'll see how it plays out in the tournament

there's a couple conferences that get in more than deserved and are over-seeded in recent years then flame out
Mountain West, B1G and SEC

SEC a bit less this year but ACC is underrated OUTSIDE that UVa's wheels had come off late and didn't deserve over Pitt because of how they each finished, Pitt having beaten them at their place handily by 11 and it wasn't even that close

I have a hard time seeing teams with losing conference records getting in

the B1G has been highly touted for a decade and has not lived up and I expect the same this year

we'll see how it plays out in the tournament

there's a couple conferences that get in more than deserved and are over-seeded in recent years then flame out
Mountain West, B1G and SEC

SEC a bit less this year but ACC is underrated OUTSIDE that UVa's wheels had come off late and didn't deserve over Pitt because of how they each finished, Pitt having beaten them at their place handily by 11 and it wasn't even that close

I have a hard time seeing teams with losing conference records getting in

the B1G has been highly touted for a decade and has not lived up and I expect the same this year
Yeah well I have a hard time seeing teams with a NET of 40 and a SOS of 95 getting in.

SOS misleading stat in this situation but fine

plenty of teams in with lower NET(not aq's) and some teams with lower SOS and yet got in
All that being said I fully expect Mississippi State to lose in the first round because outside of one miracle Final Four run in 1996 we never seem to go very far no matter how good a team we have. Even in 2004 when we went 26-4 and got a 2 seed we still managed to lose in the second round.

Reactions: Tom Vaxmonsky OD
Well I hope my Bulldogs did not have to pay for a two night minimum at their hotel. Typical early exit for us.

Maybe underdog double brackets

If so I’m same 2-0 while 1-0 in all others except 1 that I picked for upsets and went Miss St in honor of Dr Ware

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Ware OD
Maybe underdog double brackets

If so I’m same 2-0 while 1-0 in all others except 1 that I picked for upsets and went Miss St in honor of Dr Ware
One of the biggest rules in life is never......ever....ever..... bet for or against Mississippi State in any sport. Nobody wins when they shouldn't and loses when they shouldn't like my alma mater.

Witness this basketball season: Beat #5 Tennessee twice and also lost a game to freaking Southern University out of the SWAC.

One of the biggest rules in life is never......ever....ever..... bet for or against Mississippi State in any sport. Nobody wins when they shouldn't and loses when they shouldn't like my alma mater.

Witness this basketball season: Beat #5 Tennessee twice and also lost a game to freaking Southern University out of the SWAC.
As a BIG TEN guy..had to go with Mich State..

Izzo hard to out coach!

So I stayed up late to watch a couple of games. NC State just basically took it to Texas Tech and Samford almost took Kansas but any chance disappeared when an amazing block was called a fowl.

2nd in one pool so won a little money, dfl in the other but no $

1712842064823.png

anyone else win?