Music in the office

I have a 49 inch LCD monitor on the wall in the waiting area running ocutouch. It plays many different segments on the eyes with pleasant backround music.

Whereas mine plays "Jumanji" and "Night at the Museum" (occasionally Alvin and the Chipmunks or Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium will sneak on there as well).

We've had numerous requests from patients and staff that we should have music in the background at the offices. We'd like to avoid the radio, with commercials and we certainly don't want anyone dancing. We're thinking more along the lines of an MP3 playlist. Any song suggestions?

I went to Target and bought a bunch of music cds. No vocals, just spa-like music. Very soothing in the office. Pts like it because it makes the office very relaxing.

Martyn,

It would probably be better to start a new thread with your post since it's really a different topic.

Mike,
Homo say what? :D

And I was serious. I've been threatened with a lawsuit from those guys before because of the local radio playing on our on hold phone system. They seem to travel around looking for violators. Probably make more money that way. Heard of several businesses they have threatened for playing music in their offices too.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'llllllllllllllllll bbbbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ggggoooooooooonnnnnnnnnneeee . . . .

Good times, just so you know that song fininshed up a couple of songs ago. It was followed by "What I am" by Edie Brickell and now I have "She Blinded Me With Science"...I'm pretty sure the next in rotation is "Der Kommisar" by After the Fire.

Now I ask you, whose exam room would you rather sit in?

Internet Source of Music

If Roadrunner.com is your internet service, it can provide a radio, much like XMRADIO with many genre.

I Only Have Eyes For You
StarEyes
Oche Chornia - Dark Eyes
Angel Eyes
Them Their Eyes
The Girl With the Three Blue Eyes (Abe Burrows)

As a member of ASCAP , I recommend you consider the advice about obtaining permission to use intellectual property registered with ASCAP and BMI, posted above.

This ought to be an easy one:

Private Eyes - Hall and Oates
Eyes without a face - Billy Idol
Behind Blue Eyes - The Who
Betty Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes
Double Vision - Foreigner
Always Something There To Remind Me - Naked Eyes
In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel
Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
Lost in Your Eyes - Debbie Gibson
When You Close Your Eyes - Night Ranger
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Sunglasses at Night - Corey Hart
I've Cried the Blue Right Out of my Eyes - Crystal Gayle
Smoke gets in your Eyes - Nat King Cole
Lyin' Eyes - The Eagles
What about "Blinded by the Light" by Manford Mann?

No-expense, legal music

I use AOL as my server. They have AOL music and it's separated into many different types of music. As far as I know there is no legal problems with playing this music and there are no advertisements.

Obviously not allowed without permission and I'am not sure how you would get permission.

It would be nice to tie this idea i.e music with an eye theme - to a world vision charity (optometry giving sight) for example.
A sponsor (Bausch & Lomb) supports the production of an album made up up say 15-20 songs (select the most popular ones) - and promots the album as a 'help the world to see' venture. 50% of the proceeds go to optometry giving sight - the other on production / copyright costs.

Certainly I think most optometrists / opthalmologists / opticians etc all over the world would buy into the idea - just pick bloody good music!

Perhaps include a brief DVD to explain the wonderful work these charities do. Bausch & Lomb could even attach a discount on your next purchase voucher to make it even more attractive.

We like internet radio stations

There are a ton of internet radio stations available for every taste.

Type "internet radio" into any search engine and you'll find them. A lot of them are "internet only" and do not broadcast over the airwaves, and we have found quite a few with no advertising at all. I hooked up my workstation in the back office to our office stereo, and it's fun to choose whatever I'm in the mood for, as long as it's in good taste. Light rock and jazz seem to be pretty agreeable to staff and patients... if you put on music they don't like, you will find out pretty quickly.

Just connect the sound card in your computer to one of the inputs on your office stereo (Radio Shack and Best Buy have the cables you need) and you're good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Office Music

We've had numerous requests from patients and staff that we should have music in the background at the offices. We'd like to avoid the radio, with commercials and we certainly don't want anyone dancing. We're thinking more along the lines of an MP3 playlist. Any song suggestions?
I have a Mac in every room of the office, sometimes more than one.
Each has iTunes as part of the operating system.
Macs all see each other, so they can all play from my extensive music library on the external hard drive of my primary exam room's Mac.

Be careful about copyrighted music when played in a business.
Mark R. Sukoenig, OD
Cicero (Syracuse), NY
www.eyedocmark.com
eyedocmark@gmail.com

I just purchased a Sirius satelite radio and let the staff choose what they want to listen too. I was going to hook it into the in house system I already have but decided to just hide a boom box behind a display. Works great. No commercials.

http://www.last.fm is a nice place for streaming radio. You can pick and artist or genre that you like and listen to radio from there. No advertisements.

Thanks for the tip. I was streaming music using Pandora, but it pauses too often, asking you if you are still listening.

I tried last.fm, and it works great! If you like nice piano music (which I love), type in O'neill Brothers.

I use AOL radio.
Mostly I keep it on Christian, but I can change to Christmas, patriotic, Sinatra style on heavy seniors days, etc.

Pandora One

I use Pandora's streaming Music (www.pandora.com) $30.00 for a year subscription. I have several "Stations" set to play everything from 40's swing, to James Taylor and Jimmy Buffet. (presently listening to Classical). Patients are always asking whats playing and are very positive.

Although Saturday mornings I always play "Car Talk" off of NPR. Actually have a cadre of patients that stop in to listen to a bit while enjoying some coffee and getting an adjustment.

KC

Nice!

A true fan am I...., are you going to the Arizona State Fair on Sat. 11-06-10 (I'm not sure how far that is from your home)? I truly considered it---I'll be in Las Vegas Thurs, Fri, Sat am, but will be flying home Sat am (I thought of flying to the AZ fair and flying home Sunday). If I would have known you're a Droog, I would've considered it:D

I did see The Jaegermeister Tour earlier this month in Columbus. Did a meet- n- greet with Mustaine and Co., photo, autographed Dave's book, FRONT row in the pit (I did not surf---I'm a bit frightened of that aspect), great time.

Steve

Dr. Hirt,
I am prepared to offer you an associateship or partnership based solely on that comment. Call me.
Dr. Ken Jeffers

Stephen Hirt said:
Nice!

A true fan am I...., are you going to the Arizona State Fair on Sat. 11-06-10 (I'm not sure how far that is from your home)? I truly considered it---I'll be in Las Vegas Thurs, Fri, Sat am, but will be flying home Sat am (I thought of flying to the AZ fair and flying home Sunday). If I would have known you're a Droog, I would've considered it:D

I did see The Jaegermeister Tour earlier this month in Columbus. Did a meet- n- greet with Mustaine and Co., photo, autographed Dave's book, FRONT row in the pit (I did not surf---I'm a bit frightened of that aspect), great time.

Steve

I was listening to 99 Ways To Die on my way home today....I was unaware of any volume level other than "full".

Uduak Udom said:
Being set in your ways and not wanting to try a change in any direction is never the correct one, I think.

But my ways are the product of the journey. It's not about being closed as much as being comfortable with where I've been led.

It's Interesting where threads can lead.

Another droog?

A fine choice there, Steve-O-Reeno--!!!!!! And actually a great video, as far as the message goes.

Could it be true that you are a friend of Megadeth as well, kind Sir?

I was listening to 99 Ways To Die on my way home today....I was unaware of any volume level other than "full".

A fine choice there, Steve-O-Reeno--!!!!!! And actually a great video, as far as the message goes.

Could it be true that you are a friend of Megadeth as well, kind Sir?

Funny...I read this thread and came home and put on "Almost Honest", so I guess the answer would have to be yes.

Now go spin Rust In Peace in its entirety and all its glory, and you are a fan and friend forever---

Funny...I read this thread and came home and put on "Almost Honest", so I guess the answer would have to be yes.

Megafan

Nice!

Steve

Steve,
I submit to your Megadeth knowledge and mastery. I am a fan, albeit just a fan. I'm not a rabid Megadeth fan but I like them. Didn't even know they were at my own state's fair. As soon as I saw the advertisement for Bret Michaels I lost interest in my state fair. I saw the Scorpions in their last tour a few months ago, and Iron Maiden a month or two before that. Although most of my hair is gone now, I will remain a fan of the hair bands forever!
If you see Megadeth at AZ State Fair, let me know what you think!