Ohio review committee could kill useless boards - if it ever meets - Watchdog.org -...

ODwire.org NewsBot

NewsBot
Staff member
Jul 30, 2007
School/Org
Newsbot U
City
Barre
State
VT
is the optometry board in ohio useless?

is the optometry board in ohio useless?

Well I'm in Ohio, and apparently the last one to know anything. Maybe I'll call the board tomorrow and see what's going on. No it is not useless. I talk to them a lot.

It's funny, I don't think the common person outside the professional boards, really understands what they do. I wonder why the reason they are considering this measure, it is supposed to be some savings of some kind? Who knows.

I left a voicemail for the Board of optometry to hopefully put out a newsletter to everyone tomorrow. If they do I will copy and paste it here.

I believe Ohio's Board of Optometry is fully self funded, so the author of the article may want to check his sources...

http://optometry.ohio.gov/annual/2013 Report.pdf

In fact, they appear to make a small surplus. Does this get handed over to the state? If so, Ohio is making money on Optometry having a Board!

Reactions: Frederick Frost
It wouldn't be too bad to combine the Optometry Board and the Optical Dispenser's Board, but we must remain free from the Medical Board.

I just received an email from Jeff Greene of the Ohio State Board of optometry.

It's funny Jon, apparently there was language in the budget bill to combine the optometry board, with the optical dispensers board as you mentioned, but it was changed at the last minute in the bill approved atend of June. So for now no changes. There is going to be a sunset review by the end of 2016, and we may be combined with the optical dispensers board, but no mention of the medical board. The board is going to put a newsletter out mid August.

Fred

I just received an email from Jeff Greene of the Ohio State Board of optometry.

It's funny Jon, apparently there was language in the budget bill to combine the optometry board, with the optical dispensers board as you mentioned, but it was changed at the last minute in the bill approved atend of June. So for now no changes. There is going to be a sunset review by the end of 2016, and we may be combined with the optical dispensers board, but no mention of the medical board. The board is going to put a newsletter out mid August.

Fred

That's ok if that happens for two reasons:

1. Optometry would be the big dog in the combined board.
2. It will take the pressure off optometry to combine us with the medical board. If fact, it would even be like a poison pill in future thoughts about combining us with the medical board, since opticianry has even less overlap with medicine than optometry does.