On Demand until May 1 or May 8? Which is it?

Larry Bickford O.D.

ODwire.org Supporting Member
Jun 28, 2009
School/Org
PA College of Optometry
City
Santa Barbara
State
CA
Banner atop Forum page says May 1.
Banner atop sign in page says May 1.
Banner atop on demand video page says May 8.

So? Which is it? And what time on whatever day is correct?

Inquiring minds atop last minute users want to know. Like right now!:)

Banner atop Forum page says May 1.
Banner atop sign in page says May 1.
Banner atop on demand video page says May 8.

So? Which is it? And what time on whatever day is correct?

Inquiring minds atop last minute users want to know. Like right now!:)

A last minute decision was made today based on the fact that there were a significant number of last minute sign ups. We were able to extend out contract with the CEwire administrator Bit on Wire for an additional week.

The last minute folks are given the opportunity to maximize the number of courses and exams they could take in one week.

For those who have not completed 50 hours to be part of the raffle, you have one more week.

Good Luck.

The lights go out on 5/8/18 at midnight PDT.

We hope participants will share some opinions about the courses. We can only improve based on feedback.

Reactions: Jeff Kiener
I implore everyone to get their hours in by then, I don't think we'll be able to extend it any further (a week is already pushing it with them.)

Amazingly, out of the 2,000+ attendees, I think like 50 or 60 have completed *every* course!! Talk about getting your money's worth! kudos to those hard-core learners!

I implore everyone to get their hours in by then, I don't think we'll be able to extend it any further (a week is already pushing it with them.)

Amazingly, out of the 2,000+ attendees, I think like 50 or 60 have completed *every* course!! Talk about getting your money's worth! kudos to those hard-core learners!
Some of us are limited to a set number of "correspondence" hours for renewal. So for me, for example, there's no compelling reason to quiz out more than 20 hours. Some presentations I will just listen or skim for info, no quiz required.

I do appreciate the value and enjoy the learning. Thank you for putting this together and to the presenters for their time and sharing their wisdom.

Adding to what Adam and Paul have said many had asked us to extend the conference but realize the costs are astronomical with the software platform that hosts it for us. They were nice enough because their support team got similar requests. To Larry...........we are working hard to get state boards to be more like CME credits where ALL can be obtained online

Some of us are limited to a set number of "correspondence" hours for renewal. So for me, for example, there's no compelling reason to quiz out more than 20 hours. Some presentations I will just listen or skim for info, no quiz required.

I do appreciate the value and enjoy the learning. Thank you for putting this together and to the presenters for their time and sharing their wisdom.

Yup, most states are limited, unfortunately.

Though i've noticed most people doing the 'full' slate of courses don't actually need all those credits -- they are doing it for some other reason! (the love of it?! who knows!)

The reality is we offered 50 credits b/c we wanted to give people choice; we know not everyone is interested in, say, scleral lenses or IOLS. When it is all over i'll compute the average number of credit hours people took, just to get a better sense of where we're at.

-- ad

Yup, most states are limited, unfortunately.

Though i've noticed most people doing the 'full' slate of courses don't actually need all those credits -- they are doing it for some other reason! (the love of it?! who knows!)

The reality is we offered 50 credits b/c we wanted to give people choice; we know not everyone is interested in, say, scleral lenses or IOLS. When it is all over i'll compute the average number of credit hours people took, just to get a better sense of where we're at.

-- ad
One point that should be made is the ABO requires 100 credits over a 3 year period for MOC and they allow 50 of our credits. So there is a population that can use the 50

One point that should be made is the ABO requires 100 credits over a 3 year period for MOC and they allow 50 of our credits. So there is a population that can use the 50
That is a good point! Forgot about ABO MOC. How many docs do you estimate are still keeping up with the MOC requirement?

This last conference I think was our best yet; we'll be sending out a survey as soon as the conference closes (COPE likes it when we do this, we comply...), hopefully I can share some of the feedback with everyone and we can use it to build the next one.

ad

That is a good point! Forgot about ABO MOC. How many docs do you estimate are still keeping up with the MOC requirement?

This last conference I think was our best yet; we'll be sending out a survey as soon as the conference closes (COPE likes it when we do this, we comply...), hopefully I can share some of the feedback with everyone and we can use it to build the next one.

ad
Obviously there are several thousand board certified. How many are disenchanted and forgoing MOC can only be calculated when or if they release these stats. In a few years certainly not months we should have a better idea of attrition rates

Obviously there are several thousand board certified. How many are disenchanted and forgoing MOC can only be calculated when or if they release these stats. In a few years certainly not months we should have a better idea of attrition rates

On the other hand ABO Diplomates went through the cost and effort on being "good soldiers " and became "ABO Diplomates" for those who like to add credentials to their bio..

The CEwire on line courses allow them to complete their MOC requirements conveniently and cost effectively. We are happy that we could help make if a reasonable choice to prevent dropouts after all that cost and effort.

On the other hand ABO Diplomates went through the cost and effort on being "good soldiers " and became "ABO Diplomates" for those who like to add credentials to their bio..

The CEwire on line courses allow them to complete their MOC requirements conveniently and cost effectively. We are happy that we could help make if a reasonable choice to prevent dropouts after all that cost and effort.

As part of our post-course survey, i'll work that question in -- ie, why did you take the courses? (choose all that apply) -- 1) for licensure 2) for ABO MOC) 3) I took some classes just for the education, the credits didn't apply.

etc...

Doing the right thing....

Many CEwire participants do not visit ODwire.org routinely. To make 100% certain that all who signed up for courses know they have an extra week the following e mail blast went out today to the thousands participating...

Dear CEWire2018 participant,

A last minute flurry of new signups for the CEwire2018 courses, created a need to extend the courses and quiz one week. The lights will be turned out on 5/8/18 at 12 midnight PDT….no exceptions!

This added week gives you an opportunity to take additional courses and reach the magic number of 50 hours for quizzes passed and approved for CE. You become eligible for a drawing

10 winners will receive one year ODwire.org membership free
5 winners will receive CEwire2019 at no charge
1 winner will receive a top of the line I-Pad

A special thank you to our administrators Bits on Wire for allowing an extension of their contract one week to accommodate late participants.

Your CEwire2018 participation appreciated. The team looks forward to you participating future COPE approved on line CEwire courses.
Paul

------
Paul Farkas, MS, OD, FAAO
Administrator,ODwire.org

pfarkas@odwire.org