Jul 30, 2007
School/Org
Newsbot U
City
Barre
State
VT
Sad that he couldn't sell the practice.
Years ago, I tried to buy a practice. The doc would not come to a realistic price where I could pay the note and eat. No one ever bought it at the asking price, and he just closed it instead of taking a lower price.

Years ago, I tried to buy a practice. The doc would not come to a realistic price where I could pay the note and eat. No one ever bought it at the asking price, and he just closed it instead of taking a lower price.

I have played that games many times, probably around a dozen times. I've vented on here for years about that problem. This is a very common issue in optometry but it still makes no sense to me......

If a practice is worth $300,000 and the unrealistic seller wants $500,000 but is getting no takers, at what point does he say "well, I'm not getting the half mil I want so guess I'll just shut it down and sell the equipment for $12,000?"

It makes no sense. Are ODs that stubborn? Are they that stupid? Even if you have to end up selling it a deep deep discount, at least sell it for SOMETHING.

I have played that games many times, probably around a dozen times. I've vented on here for years about that problem. This is a very common issue in optometry but it still makes no sense to me......

If a practice is worth $300,000 and the unrealistic seller wants $500,000 but is getting no takers, at what point does he say "well, I'm not getting the half mil I want so guess I'll just shut it down and sell the equipment for $12,000?"

It makes no sense. Are ODs that stubborn? Are they that stupid? Even if you have to end up selling it a deep deep discount, at least sell it for SOMETHING.
It has happened 3 times with me. What a waste for everyone.

Agree with some of the previous posts, but I didn't read anywhere about him just shuttering the practice because it wouldn't sell.

Possible that he sold his charts/inventory and transferred care to a local OD who bought him out, just not the location (often the smartest move for buyer & seller)