Optometry student wins St. Jude Dream Home

I hate to do this to Student Dr. Lindsey but my patient won the 2011 St Jude Dream Home and it has been a never-ending tax nightmare on a house she can't get rid of fast enough.

I hate to do this to Student Dr. Lindsey but my patient won the 2011 St Jude Dream Home and it has been a never-ending tax nightmare on a house she can't get rid of fast enough.

I was thinking the same thing. She'll have to take a mortgage just for the taxes. lol

If you could sell the house it seems like you could get some decent cash out of it, even if you sold it at 50% of its value.

A free house is rarely a bad thing

Ideally, I'd think she'd want to live in it for 2 years prior to selling it to avoid capital gains taxes (Even better if she gets married prior to selling).
Get 3 optometry school classmates as tenants & set rent to cover expenses.
List it for sale sooner, but for possession after the 2 years.
Graduate->Sell house->Buy practice->Ride the gravy train of a paid-for practice.

Malorie is in my class....This is amazing!

If I were here I would sell it, pay off student loans and use the rest for a start up....what a life changing event.

Come to think of it, we always sat next to each other and she used to take notes from mine when she missed something.....I think I need to call in a few favors.