Tom Miller

Feb 21, 2001
School/Org
SCO
City
Fayetteville
State
NC
I know of a few OD/MD's, a Physician Assistant/OD, OD/MBA, OD/PHD, OD/MS, an MD/PhD/OD (in my OD school class) and even a couple of Veterinarians who went to medical school to become an OB/GYN and an internist.

Anybody know of any other unusual combinations or change in careers?

Hi Tom
I had a guy in a few years ago with the most bizarre carreer change. He gave up practising law to become a florist. I suspect a mid-life crisis of sorts. However, some days I think floristry (is there such a word...) seems quite an attractive proposition myself. Dang! I must be getting close to forty!

Hi Tom,

I am a third year student at Pacific University and we have a professor who is a real gunner. He has a Pharm D, O.D., and a PA-C degree! I think he takes continuing education to a new level!

Jim

Tom,

I was a physical therapist before I went to optometry school. There were six second-career students in my class. One guy in my class was a machinist. There was a lady who I think was a librarian. I don't remember what the others' previous careers were.

New Career for the Better

Tom,

I'm an OD/ME. The ME stands for Masters in Electrical Engineering. About halfway through my thesis I decided it wasn't worth the trouble so I chose a different route. Instead of MS it's ME.

I was an electrical engineer at IBM for five years before becoming an optometrist. There I helped develop the Power PC chip, among other things. I left engineering because I didn't particularly like the corporate world, the poor job security that engineers have to endure nowadays, and the stress that comes from the fast development cycle in the computer industry. Being yelled at everyday, worring about your job every few months, and bringing your work home every day is not my idea of fun.

Before IBM, I worked at a nuclear test facility in the Idaho desert where I put in cooling controls for a live reactor (I hope it hasn't blown up by now).

Before Idaho, I worked as a research assistant at Utah State University (where I got my masters degree). I helped research an electronic airborne deer census device.

Optometry is truly the best profession there is! I like being my own boss, having a little challenge everyday without undo stress, reaping direct financial rewards, the control I get from choosing my hours, and going home everyday knowing that I helped someone today. The last one is the best thing of all... ;)

Wow Keith! How old are you? Your picture looks like a teenager. I was a forensic chemist out of college, then a Q/A chem tech for Shell before Optometry school. This is a much better profession than either of those. AND things don't blow up or catch on fire around here. (BTW, if you have never seen an ether flash, it is very scary. The oxygen in the air ignites around it!)

Originally posted by Eric Ball
Wow Keith! How old are you? Your picture looks like a teenager.

I'm 36. Yeah, I know "baby face."

It's the puffy face and the small picture--> You can't see the wrinkles! (Think about how you want to do your pic before you post it!).

Some New York tales

I will relate two stories...

A patient who received his law degree and was unhappy worked as a lawyer during the day but nights and week-ends was a writer. He came in one day excited that NBC accepted his script for a Law Show Pilot. The show “ Law and Order” was a hit and he became a steady contributor using his law degree to make the scripts all the more believable.

Michael now lives in Los Angeles and I see his name as an occasional writer of this long running TV series but most of the time he is listed as an Executive Producer. What a great way to combine law and writing.

Closer to home...

A former associate, Jordan Kassalow who is now a partner in my former practice, has used an advanced MPH in a unique way. He was very active as a student in VOSH and their overseas projects to assist in the visual care of the indigent.He was the first OD to receive an MPH at Johns Hopkins in the area of "Preventitive Optometry". Through his excellent contacts, he became involved in Helen Keller International and elected to devote half his time to issues of Visual Public Health problems in the Third World.

His frequent visits to the villages and jungle communities in Africa, Asia and South America gave him the nick name of the “Optometric Indiana Jones”. He has been too busy and has had little interest in being involved in Organized Optometry. As a result, when I suggested to the AOA over 10 years ago that Jordan be nominated for Young OD of the year I was informed the award goes to AOA members who are active in the organization.

I hope that policy is not in cement because it can be self destructive. Here is why... Jordan became a serious force in Helen Keller International that gives money to various good visual causes. After that Jordan took on what may be arguably the most prestigious salaried post of any OD in the Nation.

He is an Adjunct Fellow for Global Health Policy at the Council for Foreign Relations in New York City. It is a “Think Tank” where every senior government official past and present is either a member or turns to for advice on global issues. Jordan is part of the salaried staff.

I hope one of the Journals has the good sense to interview Jordan. Talk about an interesting OD subject!

In the interest of full disclosure, Jordan also happens to be my Godson. You might say I followed his career closely, as a Godfather should.

There are many more stories of interesting double degrees. I hope we can share them on this topic.

Just another BSEE, MBA, OD

Well, I'm just another electrical engineer who decided upon a career change to optometry (Hi Keith!). Plus an MBA along the way to boot.

After working a bit in the electrical utility industry (PECo) and manufacturing (AMP, Inc.), I decided to switch to optometry eight years ago when deregulation entered the US utilities and companies no longer wanted to undertake engineering projects but inplace decided to become marketers and wheel-er and deal-ers (note how this left California with blackouts a year ago). Domestic US manufacturing, of course, continues its 40 year decline.

I have been happy with my change.
-Bob Haak

Note: There were about 4 or 6 engineers in my class at PCO

Re: Just another BSEE, MBA, OD

Originally posted by Robert Haak
Well, I'm just another electrical engineer who decided upon a career change to optometry (Hi Keith!). Plus an MBA along the way to boot.

Note: There were about 4 or 6 engineers in my class at PCO

Well, what do you know! My good friend, Bob Haak, has joined our little group.... ;)

So why do you think we are friends? Is it the fact that we are both ex-electrical engineers and now optometrists? Must be the NERD factor going into overdrive...

I believe we had possibly 10 people in my class of 98 who started their careers over. The eldest was 58 when he started optometry school and he was a pro-mechanic. He was pretty smart--probably one of the top 3 students. Other occupations included: Chemical engineering (2), electrical engineering (three total including me), business, accounting, etc.

I hope that Bob continues to make his voice heard here in the forums. We definitely need more opinions--not that we aren't opinionated enough!

Welcome and have fun... :D

changing careers

Hello:
I was a practicing veterinarian for many years and went back to optometry school. The professions are in many ways similiar and they both are terrific careers.
I think though no matter how good a vocation may be, after many years it can get hum drum. Putting yourself back into study mode, passing boards and starting again at the bottom of a profession can be humbling and rejuvenating at the same time.

Peter Hall, DVM,OD