ODwire.org Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2007
School/Org
Pacific University College of Optometry
City
Imperial Beach
State
ca
Did any one out there attend Salus with that module system of teaching?

It looks like you go to school year round. I'm asking because my son is applying next year to opt. school

Did any one out there attend Salus with that module system of teaching?

It looks like you go to school year round. I'm asking because my son is applying next year to opt. school

Twenty years ago, there was a summer break between years one and two. and year four permitted quarterly externships of which you were required to fulfill three. Other than these breaks, classes were continuous. The uninterrupted education translated into the rapid development of a professional mindset. The Eye Institute clinic also provided a wealth of patients that presented with the full gamut of ocular complications.

Salus schedule

I'm a 3rd yr student at PCO/Salus. The module system is still in place and our semesters are as follows:

1st year: winter break from mid-December to 1st week in Jan; spring break often 1st week in March

Summer between 1st & 2nd yrs: break from mid-May til July 22 or so. There's a 4-week ophthalmic materials externship during that time that can be done pretty much around the country as long as the site meets the specified requirements. In addition, there is an online Optics of the Eye course with 18 online quizzes to be completed by 1 week or so upon return in the summer. Several weeks into the summer session, there is a final for that course. There's no classroom based learning for that course, but those few weeks allow for students to meet with upperclassmen tutors or professors if necessary prior to the final exam. The remainder of the summer session is approx 4 weeks long, followed by a week-long break in mid-end August. Basically: 1st summer has nearly 2 consecutive months that can be spent off-campus and 1 week at the end.

2nd yr: winter break from mid-December to 1st week in Jan; spring break often 1st week in March - no classes/labs during that time but patient care is assigned, unlike 1st year spring break

Summer between 2nd & 3rd yrs - one week off after finals in mid-May; summer session begins after Memorial day

3rd yr - not quite sure yet; I presume a break of some sort after finals in December til New Years. Beginning Jan 2010, there will be a January term prior to leaving for our 1st externship. Advanced curricula, research topics, any remaining elective course requirements, board preparation, additional clinical work, etc, may be done during this time.

The 3rd year externship is a 4 month rotation. There are four 4th year rotations, each separated by 1 week (I think) for travel/moving.