Staff Retreats

G

Does anyone schedule retreats (away from the office) for in-depth discussions with staff members about long range strategic planning for the practice, continuing education, morale and motivation issues, and related topics?

I'm working on an article for Optometric Management and would like to interview ODs who have arranged such programs.

Thanks,

Bob Levoy

Hi Bob,

I haven't yet......but the dentist beside me took her staff to Hawaii a few years ago. We are not on speaking terms but I have her ex-receptionist work for me (that's part of the reason why!). She says they help pay for it by working extra hours.......or something like that.

I think it would be a good idea for me one day.

Thank you Tom, for your prompt response.
Having the staff work extra hours to defray expenses is not the usual way staff retreats are set up -- and might actually be counterproductive.
Properly done, staff retreats can be a tremednous boost to staff morale, motivation and productivity.
Stay tuned ..

Bob

Originally posted by Bob Levoy

Having the staff work extra hours to defray expenses is not the usual way staff retreats are set up -- and might actually be counterproductive.
Bob

Yep, this is one of the many reason I dislike this dentist. Bob, in your experience, do dentist have to be anywhere near the business people that OD's do. It seem that she is very stupid in every aspect of running a business, but is still very successful. Some of the things she does would hurt my practice I think.......such as being rude to pts., refusing emergencies, refusing to put a visible sign.......and more.

Is it just a great time to be a dentist? Sorry to get off topic....again.

Just thought I would add my two cents. Staff retreats can be very advantageous to a practice if and only if your staff understands that they too benefit from the success of the practice.
I have attended retreats where privately, while the doctor was in another area, the staff moaned and complained about being away from their family. They could have cared less that the doctor spent a few thousand dollars to make it “nice” for them and closed their minds when it came to learning or implementing new ideas…are you kidding more work for them? That was their mindset.
On the other hand, I have been to retreats where the staff knew it was in their best interest to learn how to service their patients better and how to become more efficient. They understood that it had a direct effect on their personal income.
Staff members are the same as doctors, they will become better assistants, better producers when they understand how they are going to benefit…personally and for their families.

Introducing a new Practice Management Consultant

I asked Tammy Leonard to join our elite group of non-OD Consultants to address issues on Practice Development and Management. Tammy visits busy Private Practices and sets up or modifies systems to make them even more successful.

Welcome Tammy and feel free to wade in when your expertise and experience are needed.

Tom,

Belated congratulations on your excellent article, How To Open A Practice Cold" in the current issue of Optometric Management. It's excellent.

Regarding your next door colleague, it's amazing how successful practitioners can be -- even when they seemingly "break all the rules." I've seen it couintless times -- which is why I always avoid iron clad rules of any kind.

Tammy,

Many thanks for your input. You're absolutely right. The success of a staff retreat requires the right people who want to be more involved in the practice and want to become part of the decision-making process. It also require the right facilitator who's able to spark a lively, interactive discussion.

Bob

retreats

Hi Bob,
As a member of the original "dirty dozen" group and knowledge of the next younger d.d. group (Barry Farkas) and the youngest (Jordan Kassalow)---all members being in the top 2% of earners, these are the people most likely to be interested.
I can get you the names of the presidents of these groups if you do not have them already.

Hope you and your family are well. I am working 2.5 days per week and will fully retire in about 18 months.
We just bought a house in Sarasota Florida which we are greatly enjoying.
No plans to move there though I am much more willing to do so tlhan Sandy. She needs the grandchildren (6) fix more than I do, so we will see.

Ted (Kassalow) in case you don't remember me.

Thanks Ted, for your post. Sorry for the delay but I've been "on the road."
Sounds as if your retirement plans are going well and based on your previous posts, it seems like you've done your homework.
Regards to all,
Bob