Dec 28, 2000
www.odwire.org
School/Org
Columbia University / PCO
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
Adam and I spent a very interesting few days in Hot Muggy New Orleans at the AOA Congress. The AOA web site www.aoa.org has all the information from an organizational point of view. The AOA News will also offer extensive coverage. My report will be more personal and not necessarily have the same upbeat tone as the AOA Media.

The feeling was certainly upbeat and professional. The Companies sponsored and supplied the “Bread and Circus” that is so important at a National Convention.

Retirement Issues Moderator, Ted Kassalow as well as member Bob Koetting received awards from the Contact Lens and Cornea Section. I had the opportunity to meet in person for the first time, our Student and Recent Grad Moderator Danelle Eider. It was a pleasure to meet many of our seniordoc.org members and have the opportunity to chat with a flesh and blood person.

Adam and I had lunch with Irving Bennett and Bob Koetting. These two giants in Optometry are in part the inspiration for Seniordoc.org. They also have been AOA leaders for over 40 years. Fortunately the present AOA leadership continues to turn to them for guidance. In my opinion the AOA leadership should seek their counsel even more.

Adam, who only learns about Optometry as our Web Master, was able to get the story of Optometry from these two, who created so much of the history. I too, now have a better understanding of how things work at the AOA.

In addition I met with AOA Staff and AOA leaders. They learned of my concerns based on the various topics on seniordoc.org. I will discuss the results of my conversations in the appropriate Private Forums. I covered the following issues…

1. Corporate Sponsorship

2. Managed Care

3. Discount Mail Order Contact Lens Companies

4. Protecting Employed/ Affiliated ODs

5. Refracting Opticians

6. The AOA Journal

Look at the various Forums and these topics will be discussed and the AOA attitude towards each of these issues. See you on the Private Forums.