Thieves steal roughly $63000 in Prada, Gucci eyewear from Glendale optometrist - Glen

ODwire.org NewsBot

NewsBot
Staff member
Jul 30, 2007
School/Org
Newsbot U
City
Barre
State
VT
Nightly Ritual

You know...jewelry stores take all of their inventory and put it away..lots and lots and lots of it.

Every night...every night, my staff empties out the Prada Gucci etc...If they want the rest of the stuff...oh well..
Breaking into Optometrist offices in Houston is common place. Preparing for it is not.

All you do is to buy some frame holding card board trays...I think I pay $5.00/each...takes maybe ten minutes to take them all down and put them back up in the morning. If they break in, they will have to find them...If I put them in a safe, that would make it a target...Just putting them somewhere in the back means more time to search...unless of course its an inside job..
And of course how many of you have monitored alarms and cameras..just in case the thief happens to look "familiar".
Oh and that camera..it needs a computer to record.
Curious what the rest of you do to protect your investment other than insurance.

Allan Panzer said:
You know...jewelry stores take all of their inventory and put it away..lots and lots and lots of it.

Every night...every night, my staff empties out the Prada Gucci etc...If they want the rest of the stuff...oh well..
Breaking into Optometrist offices in Houston is common place. Preparing for it is not.

All you do is to buy some frame holding card board trays...I think I pay $5.00/each...takes maybe ten minutes to take them all down and put them back up in the morning. If they break in, they will have to find them...If I put them in a safe, that would make it a target...Just putting them somewhere in the back means more time to search...unless of course its an inside job..
And of course how many of you have monitored alarms and cameras..just in case the thief happens to look "familiar".
Curious what the rest of you do to protect your investment other than insurance.

Allan,
I think what you're doing is wise and probably gives you some peace at night.

When I built my office, I considered putting security film for my floor to ceiling windows, bars on the windows and all that stuff to safeguard my inventory and equipment. However in the end, I ended up with a robust surveillance system with recording capabilities, remote viewing etc., and an elaborate security/alarm system with exterior/interior visible lights/sirens/motion sensors as well as glass breakage sensors.

No cash is ever kept in the office after hours, my personal office has a locked door, and excess inventory beyond reasonable under-stock (which are kept in locked cabinetry) are kept in storage offsite. Fortunately, I am located directly across the street from a fire station (so there are people who are around and awake 24-7) and in a well lit medical office plaza, so there's less opportunity for criminal mischief.

But ultimately, we are all at risk for someone who is determined to rip us off. Take the necessary precautions, set up deterring systems and thats all you can really do. We all carry insurance in case our efforts fail.

Last edited:
Thieves stole more than 100 of pairs of Ray Ban sunglasses and dozens of pairs of Dolce & Gabbana, Prada, Gucci and Polo prescription eyewear, police said.

$63,000? Hmmmm...

Anyway will end up in the black market here.

After leaving WM 13 yrs ago, I built out a new office. I installed a Sony Digitally Watermarked Surveillance system with 8 camera feeds to my computer.

4 cameras are focused on the dispensary, 1 on the front entrance, 2 on the exam rooms and 1 on the business office (cash register).

At the time, it was impractical to use hard drives for storage. Instead, there were cassette-like tapes which taped about 1 week of surveillance. The tape was about 1.5X larger than a normal cassette.

The surveillance system still works today and was sucessfully used to prosecute a theft of $550 in 2006. The young woman said that someone forged her check but little did she know that I had footage of her signing the check. I created still shots, forwarded them to the local DA and eventually got my money back.

I never need to be informed when a pt is ready since a small window of my exam rooms is on my cpt monitor.