Tusculum looking to open School of Optometry in Greeneville - Citizentribune

Amazing, two other schools close by, all new, with population base of 15k. Nice.

Seriously, what do they think all these young grads are going to do? They need to take an ethics course before opening these schools.

Let’s assume I’m an idiot. Because I am an idiot.

But, my rants on ODwire follow the theme of ethics. Professionalism. Years now.

If medical knowledge, scope, and competencies increased, standards for degrees and residencies should have done so as well. Admittance. Testing.

An harsh change in a short time could draw litigation. Dunno. Common sense and responsibility didn’t reign, I guess.

Optometry didn’t even want standards in CE. No support. Bitter resistance. Publicly. Face it. I had to.

One has live ethics, not just get an ‘A’ on a multiple choice test. Big difference.

A health care profession in this century faces many challenges. I told ya.

Not cocky about it. Idiot. Idiots are still correct sometimes. I’m off to drive roads I’ve driven 1000 times. I’ll get lost.

Reactions: Richard Frankel
Let’s assume I’m an idiot. Because I am an idiot.

But, my rants on ODwire follow the theme of ethics. Professionalism. Years now.

If medical knowledge, scope, and competencies increased, standards for degrees and residencies should have done so as well. Admittance. Testing.

An harsh change in a short time could draw litigation. Dunno. Common sense and responsibility didn’t reign, I guess.

Optometry didn’t even want standards in CE. No support. Bitter resistance. Publicly. Face it. I had to.

One has live ethics, not just get an ‘A’ on a multiple choice test. Big difference.

A health care profession in this century faces many challenges. I told ya.

Not cocky about it. Idiot. Idiots are still correct sometimes. I’m off to drive roads I’ve driven 1000 times. I’ll get lost.
If the profession had followed your advice, we'd be so much better off today. That's what's so frustrating!

This makes perfect sense. We might actually need a few more optometry schools. Because as an OD has said on here, we don't have an oversupply problem, we have a distribution problem. :rolleyes:

Which OD said that?
Pretty much every AOA shill that's come here has. And then Nelson and I have been going back and forth for awhile before this last study with him saying it's a local problem, it's poor business skills, it doesn't matter, etc... I'm sure you've seen all the discussions. You can search in history if you want to read it again (not really worth it IMO).

WTH! Every place that guy goes, he opens a new college of optometry!!!!!

What state is that in?

Dr. Andrew Buzzelli has associations with these schools [I gather from a quick Google search]:
Texas Optometric Association (TOA) named Dr. Buzzelli Educator of the year (2012)
Tusculum (2018)
Pikeville-Kentucky (2014)
Rosenberg (2013)

He literally said this (2013 interview):
"The increasing number of optometry schools is not as important a factor in the future of optometry as many give it credit for. The perception is that increasing the number of schools means increasing the number of Doctors of Optometry, which means increased competition and decreased opportunity for optometrists. This type of thinking is analogous to reasoning that if you have too many books in the library then the library is in danger of closing because not all of the books will get to be read and some books will not be read at all."

Here are the members who keep accrediting him. I want financial disclosures ASAP from everyone on this board over the last 10 years!
Council Member
Type of ACOE Member
Current Term Expires

J. Bart Campbell, O.D., Chair @James Campbell ?
Residency Educator
Darin Paulson, O.D., Vice Chair @Darin P...
Practitioner
Ann Hayden-Finger, CPOT
Optometric Technician
Timothy Hug, O.D. @Timothy Hu...
Practitioner
Karen Kershenstein, Ph.D.
Public member
Stephanie S. Messner, O.D. @Stephanie Mes... (joined 16 years ago, no activity)
Educator
Laura M. Neumann, DDS, MPH
Public member
Christopher P. Olson, O.D. @Christopher Ols... (joined 17 years ago, no activity)
State Board
William L. Ratcliff, O.D. @William Ratcliff
State Board
Steven H. Schwartz, O.D., Ph.D. @Steven Schwartz
Educator
David N. Yang, O.D. @David Ya...
Practitioner

Reactions: Scott Caughell
Dr. Andrew Buzzelli has associations with these schools [I gather from a quick Google search]:
Texas Optometric Association (TOA) named Dr. Buzzelli Educator of the year (2012)
Tusculum (2018)
Rosenberg (2013)

"The increasing number of optometry schools is not as important a factor in the future of optometry as many give it credit for. The perception is that increasing the number of schools means increasing the number of Doctors of Optometry, which means increased competition and decreased opportunity for optometrists. This type of thinking is analogous to reasoning that if you have too many books in the library then the library is in danger of closing because not all of the books will get to be read and some books will not be read at all."
That must be the education the AOA got from him. Educator of the year! Brilliant!

So what if some of the new grads won't be able to work and some won't work at all... but optometry will not close!

Tusculum (2018)
Rosenberg (2013)

Here are the members who keep accrediting him. I want financial disclosures ASAP from everyone on this board over the last 10 years!
Council Member
Type of ACOE Member
Current Term Expires

J. Bart Campbell, O.D., Chair @James Campbell ?
Residency Educator
Darin Paulson, O.D., Vice Chair @Darin P...
Practitioner
Ann Hayden-Finger, CPOT
Optometric Technician
Timothy Hug, O.D. @Timothy Hu...
Practitioner
Karen Kershenstein, Ph.D.
Public member
Stephanie S. Messner, O.D. @Stephanie Mes... (joined 16 years ago, no activity)
Educator
Laura M. Neumann, DDS, MPH
Public member
Christopher P. Olson, O.D. @Christopher Ols... (joined 17 years ago, no activity)
State Board
William L. Ratcliff, O.D. @William Ratcliff
State Board
Steven H. Schwartz, O.D., Ph.D. @Steven Schwartz
Educator
David N. Yang, O.D. @David Ya...
Practitioner
That's a strange analogy this guy came up with. For one thing, books don't need to eat or have to support a family or risk becoming homeless. What if you say if a book in a library is not borrowed by anyone in one year it will be incinerated and a local library got a sudden increase of 10 million books. The odds of a particular book being rented out suddenly became much much lower and the risk of it being incinerated became much much higher. How's that for an analogy.

That's a strange analogy this guy came up with. For one thing, books don't need to eat or have to support a family or risk becoming homeless. What if you say if a book in a library is not borrowed by anyone in one year it will be incinerated and a local library got a sudden increase of 10 million books. The odds of a particular book being rented out suddenly became much much lower and the risk of it being incinerated became much much higher. How's that for an analogy.
Strange maybe. To me it's more frightening coming from an Educator of the Year. I'm not sure he should be teaching anyone if he doesn't understand basic supply and demand.

A dentally challenged walrus.

Donald, I don't see you post often, but you chimed in. Care to expand on this walrus post? Had you heard him speak or know of him?

Andrew-Buzzelli-300x240.jpg