Dec 28, 2000
www.odwire.org
School/Org
Columbia University / PCO
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
Part of my early morning exercise regimen is a four mile speed walk. A portion of my route takes me along North Ocean Blvd that is State Road A1A, along the Atlantic Ocean. On both sides of this two-lane highway are some very upscale residences. To the untrained eye, it is a very clean stretch of road.

Every morning there is an extremely fit, 40 something woman, who is either jogging or on her bicycle. Very attractive, but something unusual catches your eye. She is wearing rubber gloves and carrying a small garbage bag. She inspects every inch of the roadway for any small bit of trash on an otherwise pristine roadway. She keeps the route spotless. She is a self appointed volunteer who asks nothing of anyone. I once went up to her to thank her. No thanks were necessary it was her pleasure.

It made me wonder how many unsung heroes there are in Optometry who volunteer outside the Organizational System? I know for sure, we have them very close to home as members of www.seniordoc.org. Volunteers, who get no salary, perks or even a plaque.

I know who you are but don’t want to embarrass you. You make Optometry better for us all.

Thank you!

:D

Time to sing some praises

This being Memorial Day weekend, it is a time to remember the selfless acts of those who served in the military. With the dedication of the WW 2 memorial, it is especially fitting to say thank you the 16 million who served, who are now called “The Heroic Generation”.

Unfortunately only 5 million are of these heroes are still living. That War Memorial took far too long to complete. I regret neither of my two older brothers, both wounded in WW 2, are still alive to see it.

No matter what our views on the present state of world affairs, and the US government’s action and reaction, we can all come together and say thank you to this brave group of men and yes even many women, who sacrificed when duty called. “The Heroic Generation” should make all stand a bit taller.

An OD who is making a difference in the Third World

Among the unsung heroes in Optometry, none stand out more than Jordan Kassalow, OD, MPH. He has been able to utilize his OD, MPH together with an entrepreneurial talent to help the needy in the developing countries.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have known Jordan for over 40 years which accounts for his entire life. I’m proud to be his godfather and very close family friend during my entire adult life. In addition, Jordan was an associate when I was in clinical practice. He continues on as a partner in my former New York City practice.

Jordan’s interest in helping in the underdeveloped countries began while a student at NEWENCO becoming active in VOSH. When he realized the need and what could be accomplished, he knew at least one path he must follow.

Jordan upon graduation from NEWENCO went to Johns Hopkins to become the first OD in that institution to receive an MPH with a specialty in Ophthalmology.

He became an Associate in my practice half time. The other days were devoted to Helen Keller International concentrating on visiting small villages to train locals to help solve eye problems. Many who know him called him in those days the “Indiana Jones of Optometry”. He not only went into the villages but also lived with the natives.

After leaving Helen Keller, Jordan received a post at the prestigious think tank, “The Council on Foreign Relations” as an “Adjunct Senior Fellow for Global Health Policy”. He has been widely quoted this past year in the national media warning governments of the impending AIDS disaster. This needed wake up call happened after China admitted they kept the SARS epidemic a secret. They then admitted that AIDS is also becoming an issue.

Now to Jordan's current efforts…

Jordan is a founder and principal in a Reading Glass company, SCOJO. (Where does he find the time?) Part of the SCOJO mission is to use part of their profits to improve the lives of the less fortunate in the Third World. Their project is so impressive that they received funding from the World Bank among others. For the complete story on this activity log on to www.scojo.com/foundation

You will be impressed and proud to call Jordan a colleague and a fellow www.seniordoc.org member. Unfortunately, although Jordan would like to participate in our discussions, having a wife, 3 young children and being a partner in a very active practice combined with SCOJO and the Council on Foreign Relations gives him a very full plate indeed.

If you have any questions after reading about the SCOJO Foundation, communicate with them directly. The purpose of this piece was to salute a special OD who is doing amazing things quietly but efficiently.

This topic has been posted for nearly 9 months with 141 views.

I have been the only response. I wonder why?

The reason is in your title.

Unsung heroes...therefore nobody knows of any.
If they do, it is no longer 'unsung'...if you 'see' what I mean.:)

Anyway, thanks for this thread allowing us to share the daily routine of 'simple' people in society that makes this world a better place for everyone. I take more pleasure in reading their achievements when none of them are well-known and do not seek material gain nor fame. Just me.

Steven Lee