Using THIN-TECH Lenses from SmartOD.com to Give Patients a Unique Experience & Boost your Optical

Discussion in 'ODwire.org TV & Radio' started by AdminWolf, Apr 27, 2018.

1. AdminWolf

AdminWolf Site Administrator & Tech Lead
    Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    University of Michigan Medical School
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR

In this quick interview, Paul & I speak with Faive Kovalis, President of SmartOD and Mike Jacobson, President of THIN-TECH.

THIN-TECH makes a line of unique high-tech, customized Rx sunglass and dress wear lenses, which you can use to give your patients both valuable and unique. (check out the video to see just how thin these lenses are, even in higher powers. neat stuff.)

If you've got questions for Mike or Faive, or want to learn more about the product, just ask away here!

thanks
    -- adam

(btw, thanks to both mike and faive for being sponsors at CEwire2018! remember you guys have until May 1st to get those credits done...)

2. Greg Gemoules

Greg Gemoules Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    School/Org:
    ICO
    City:
    Coppell
    State:
    TX
    It would be interesting to get some feedback on this. Looks to me like an optical zone with a series of blends out to the carrier.

3. #3 Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Joe DiGiorgio O.D.

Joe DiGiorgio O.D. ODwire.org Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2008
    School/Org:
    ICO
    City:
    Orland Park (Suburb of Chgo.)
    State:
    IL
    Yes, or a term I have heard in the past called hyper aspheric, perhaps akin the the Ellipsicon RGP CL with their CAS 141 periphery (121,141 & 161 as I recall).

I believe I have used this same lab to make a few sport frames for our patients that were in high wrap frames.

I believe this frame below was measured with a wrap of about 22 degrees. They produced a nice shelf bevel for the edge, and we did request a wrap compensation. This was the finished produce that we made for a junior high box for soccer.

Picture by S. DiGiorgio
    upload_2018-4-28_3-47-14.png

4. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    btw if any of you have direct experience with the product, do not be bashful about posting. Pro or con -- the site thrives on honesty, so your legit feedback helps everyone understand the characteristics of every product we talk about on the site.

5. #5 Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Joe DiGiorgio O.D.

Aug 16, 2008
    School/Org:
    ICO
    City:
    State:
    IL
    Can Mike comment on if Thin-tech is a sound choice for traditional eyewear in higher powers

How does it compare to similar technology as shown below?

Thank you.

upload_2018-4-28_23-22-4.png

upload_2018-4-28_23-23-29.png

upload_2018-4-28_23-24-3.png

6. Greg Gemoules

Greg Gemoules Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    School/Org:
    ICO
    City:
    Coppell
    State:
    TX
    I love it. One can choose their "Halo value." This is an example of applying modern CAD design to an ophthalmic lens. It's called a "blend zone."

7. Joe DiGiorgio O.D.

Aug 16, 2008
    School/Org:
    ICO
    City:
    State:
    IL
    Hmmm, blend zone does not sound nearly as angelic.

8. Faive Kovalis

Faive Kovalis Active Member

Jul 23, 2013
    School/Org:
    Optiker Meister Schule Berlin, European Optometric Assoc. (E
    City:
    Denver
    State:
    CO
    Hello Dr. DiGirorgio

Although your reference to the above technology is interesting, THIN-TECH is uniquely different. We have two patents on our lens design. One for design elements and one for processing. As you know in higher prescriptions (plus or minus) we are concerned about visual performance and appearance of the lenses for the best patient satisfaction. (Balancing Visual function and fashion)

With respect to the visual area of the lens our technology uses patented dynamically engineered visual zone optimization based on prescription, PD, OC, frame size and wrap angle. As a result this lens design calculation is truly unique to each patient. Based on visual zone design base on prescription considerations as fore mentioned, we then calculate a patented thinning algorithm to keep the lenses appearance natural and fashionable. We also have a unique processing feature that allows for up to 9mm of de-centration eliminating cut out issues with larger fashion forward sunglasses.

This technology can certainly be used to produce more attractive lenses in higher minus and plus lenses. In fact, we will soon introduce our new iThin technology for plus power lenses over a +3.00 that significantly reduces nasal and center thickness.

Thank you for your comments and interest. Mike

9. Joe DiGiorgio O.D.

Aug 16, 2008
    School/Org:
    ICO
    City:
    State:
    IL
    Thank you Mike.

Are all TT lenses always bundled with AR and mirror or is there another package for use with higher Rx’s in traditional ophthalmic frames? Thank you.

10. Faive Kovalis

Faive Kovalis Active Member

Jul 23, 2013
    School/Org:
    Optiker Meister Schule Berlin, European Optometric Assoc. (E
    City:
    Denver
    State:
    CO
    Hello Dr. DiGiorgio,
    THIN-TECH is offered as a package price and you can choose your options within the package. All is priced the same with AR or without, with Mirror or without.
    You can certainly order THIN-TECH a la carte for SunRx or dress-wear eyewear. THIN-TECH lens design can be used for higher minus and plus powers with dress wear eyewear. In fact, just the other day we did a digital PAL with powers in the range of -4.00 -11.00 cylinder with +3.00 add in Transitions 7.
    With my best regard, Mike

Joe DiGiorgio O.D. likes this.
  11. Joe DiGiorgio O.D.

Aug 16, 2008
    School/Org:
    ICO
    City:
    State:
    IL
    We will need to find out about this. For our dresswear eyewear we are probably like 80-90% AR, and we try really hard to mechanical select the proper frame to optimize decentration, but it would still be awesome to have TT as an option to thin the job.

Maybe we need to speak with Gina about this?

12. Paul Farkas

Paul Farkas Administrator

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    Columbia University / PCO
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Opinions are now coming in about Thin-Tech. As an Odwire.org sponsor I'm happy to see they are positive reports...
    https://www.odwire.org/community/th...ink-and-grow-rich-in-optometry.110707/page-10

I participated in the ODwire Radio-TV/Podcast. Sometimes due to time constraints or my outspokenness questioning, my commenst are deleted.

I did pose a question that might have taken too much time to address during the show and was not included

"How should practices which are first in their community price the Thin-Tech prescription?"

Using SmartOD and Thin-Tech is a value proposition for ODs. Should the lower cost for materials be passed on to the patient?

My opinion especially it you are first OD using this technology in your community is to market thin-Tech as a premium product and price accordingly with higher cost than ordinary sun wear prescriptions.

What is your opinion?

13. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Dr. Frost just had his first pair dispensed, you can see the results here!

https://www.odwire.org/community/th...-rich-in-optometry.110707/page-10#post-840512

14. Frederick Frost

Frederick Frost ODwire.org Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    School/Org:
    Ohio State University College of Optometry
    City:
    Zanesville
    State:
    OH
  15. Joe DiGiorgio O.D.

Aug 16, 2008
    School/Org:
    ICO
    City:
    State:
    IL
    So Mike lets say we are going to fit thin-tech for a moderate to high myope in a larger ophthalmic frame in say 6 base or a sun frame in 6 base or 8 base. Say we are going to use a single vision lens.

Should we specify the OC height? Lets say the patient's pupil center is 20, as an example. Should the OC by set relative to the pupil? Many opticians talk about placing the OC at 2-3 mm below pupil center. Others place the OC at half the B dimension. For higher Rx's in Thin-tech, what say you?

Thank you.

16. Joe DiGiorgio O.D.

Aug 16, 2008
    School/Org:
    ICO
    City:
    State:
    IL
    Mike which polarized lenses are you recommending for use with smartphones?

17. Allan Panzer

Allan Panzer ODwire.org Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    School/Org:
    Univeristy of Houston College of Optometry
    City:
    Houston
    State:
    TX
  18. Larry Bickford O.D.

Larry Bickford O.D. ODwire.org Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    School/Org:
    PA College of Optometry
    City:
    Santa Barbara
    State:
    CA
    Here's an interesting question or two: (turned out 4)

1.How many of us measure the wrap angle, monoc pds and oc's when appropriate?
    2.If you don't specify parameters, does your current lab call you for the data?
    3.If the lab doesn't call, do they choose a compatible design and do the optical compensation(s)?

And then there's the subjective:

4.If your patient has multiple specs, (and this is for those high rx's and engineers :eek:) and they are made with differing peripheral aspheric designs, can they alternate or do they complain?

Anyone want to throw PALs into the equation?

Can you get that at Zenni, Glasses.com, Warby? Walmart? Do your patients know?

Frederick Frost likes this.
  19. Joe DiGiorgio O.D.

Aug 16, 2008
    School/Org:
    ICO
    City:
    State:
    IL
    Are there currently any marketing materials for ThinTech that we can use in our practices to educate our patients on the TT process? (perhaps I missed this upthread. I will go back and have a look at the original post video. )

Thank you

charles Luke likes this.
  20. Paul Farkas

Paul Farkas Administrator

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    Columbia University / PCO
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    The ODwire Radio-TV/Podcast goes into thin-Tech marketing details.

I recall from the interview the SmartOD has Thin-Tech marketing material available. Best to check with them.