1. *** CEwire2020 is now available ON DEMAND
    60 COPE-Approved Credits! [WATCH HERE]
    Dismiss Notice

CEwire2016: Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand Update

Discussion in 'CEwire2016' started by AdminWolf, Dec 10, 2015.

1. #1 Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    AdminWolf

AdminWolf Site Administrator & Tech Lead
    Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    University of Michigan Medical School
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Hi all,

Many people have asked me about the applicability of CEwire2016's credits outside of the US.

Let me run it down for you, and i'll keep this post updated as I learn more --

1) Canada. Valid CE! COPE-approved CE is acceptable in the provinces, and Internet CE is apparently something that people already do. Indeed, we are getting a huge number of Canadians registering for the show (a full 25% of our audience at this point!) So, feel free to register with confidence. You're good to go.

2) Australia. Valid CE! You just need to keep track of the hours and keep a copy of your downloadable certificate, in case you get audited. Of the 80 hours you need every 2 years, all but 24 can be done online (!) I hope you consider joining us!

3) New Zealand - We've submitted our materials to the NZAO, we are in the queue for CPD accreditation. My guess is that we'll get it, but you never know! Again, every lecture meets COPE's standard which helps a lot. but I'll let you know when I hear definitively.

4) The UK. This is the biggest unknown for us. They sent us a big packet of rules and guidelines, and an application form -- apparently the entire event (and us as an organization) need to be blessed before they'll accept the credits. If anyone has experience with this, feel free to contact me. It is something i'd like to get done, but if it is too complex it will have to wait for CEwire2017.

Register here

Thanks!
    Adam

Troy Cassidy likes this.
  2. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    I forgot to mention -- we've had registrants from Australia, New Zealand, and the UK already (some folks just want to take the courses, credits be damned!), the registration system is set up to accept credit cards internationally, and has been working fine, so no worries there.

thanks
    ad

3. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    OK, Australians, here's what I've been able to piece together with help from friends down under...
    • You need 80 CPD points per 2 year cycle.
    • 24 of those 80 points need to be "in person". The rest can be online, etc.
    • So in theory, you could use all 50 CEwire2016 credits towards you renewal.
    • They are 'unaccredited', which means you just need to safe your attendance certificate and produce it if you are audited. Which as I understand is something that docs routinely do?
    I think I got that right, if anyone wants to correct me, feel free...

4. Kristin Bartlett

Kristin Bartlett Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2002
    School/Org:
    Univeristy of Houston College of Optometry
    City:
    Perth hills, Australia
    State:
    WA
    Sounds about right, Adam.

5. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Great! And you've never had any trouble with this process? (ie, if all our talks are COPE-approved, with tests, etc, and we hand you a certificate, it should be OK, right?)

I would love to invite Aussie ODs to this thing -- it is becoming quite the international event.

6. Adam Lusk

Adam Lusk Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2015
    School/Org:
    QUT
    City:
    Brisbane
    State:
    Q
    I got audited this year (for the previous two years), and I must admit until now all my CPD was accredited, so I didn't have to address the issue of unaccredited CPD. But I'm sure it would be fine.

7. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Australia is in! Here's the official word from the National Professional Services Manager at Optometry Australia:

8. Steve Silberberg

Steve Silberberg ODwire.org Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2012
    School/Org:
    SUNY Stonybrook/SUNY/MIT
    City:
    Matawan
    State:
    NJ
    good job Adam or should I say Mate now

9. Paul Farkas

Paul Farkas Administrator

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    Columbia University / PCO
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Can any lessons be learned from Australia Optometry? Are they more trusting using an honor system with needed verification if audited?

How the Florida Board of Optometry can justify depriving Florida ODs the opportunity for an alternate COPE approved C/E approach is open to speculation. Perhaps a Florida can explain their thinking.

In any event, I hope our loyal ODwire.org leadership signs up early to save $50. This week we begin marketing to all the 40K ODs rather than just our limited 19,000 family.

10. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    BTW, if any Australians have advice for me as to how to best reach your peers, i'm all ears. The usual suspects don't maintain lists for you guys...

would love to get the word out. I've contacted your association and we'll be running small ads in january, but i'd love to find the largest source to get our message out.

thanks
    ad