Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
Hi all,

Many people have asked me about the applicability of CEwire2016's credits outside of the US.

Let me run it down for you, and i'll keep this post updated as I learn more --

1) Canada. Valid CE! COPE-approved CE is acceptable in the provinces, and Internet CE is apparently something that people already do. Indeed, we are getting a huge number of Canadians registering for the show (a full 25% of our audience at this point!) So, feel free to register with confidence. You're good to go.

2) Australia. Valid CE! You just need to keep track of the hours and keep a copy of your downloadable certificate, in case you get audited. Of the 80 hours you need every 2 years, all but 24 can be done online (!) I hope you consider joining us!

3) New Zealand - We've submitted our materials to the NZAO, we are in the queue for CPD accreditation. My guess is that we'll get it, but you never know! Again, every lecture meets COPE's standard which helps a lot. but I'll let you know when I hear definitively.

4) The UK. This is the biggest unknown for us. They sent us a big packet of rules and guidelines, and an application form -- apparently the entire event (and us as an organization) need to be blessed before they'll accept the credits. If anyone has experience with this, feel free to contact me. It is something i'd like to get done, but if it is too complex it will have to wait for CEwire2017.

Register here

Thanks!
Adam

Last edited:
Reactions: Troy Cassidy
I forgot to mention -- we've had registrants from Australia, New Zealand, and the UK already (some folks just want to take the courses, credits be damned!), the registration system is set up to accept credit cards internationally, and has been working fine, so no worries there.

thanks
ad

3) Australia. The OA suggests "running the show for Aussies as unaccredited CPD (still totally valid), then you take your printable course certificates that we provide, which you can use if you are audited." (the certificate shows course name, date of completion, test score, etc.) Does that make sense to folks?

Thanks!
Adam

OK, Australians, here's what I've been able to piece together with help from friends down under...
  • You need 80 CPD points per 2 year cycle.
  • 24 of those 80 points need to be "in person". The rest can be online, etc.
  • So in theory, you could use all 50 CEwire2016 credits towards you renewal.
  • They are 'unaccredited', which means you just need to safe your attendance certificate and produce it if you are audited. Which as I understand is something that docs routinely do?
I think I got that right, if anyone wants to correct me, feel free...

Sounds about right, Adam.

Sounds about right, Adam.

Great! And you've never had any trouble with this process? (ie, if all our talks are COPE-approved, with tests, etc, and we hand you a certificate, it should be OK, right?)

I would love to invite Aussie ODs to this thing -- it is becoming quite the international event.

Great! And you've never had any trouble with this process? (ie, if all our talks are COPE-approved, with tests, etc, and we hand you a certificate, it should be OK, right?)

I got audited this year (for the previous two years), and I must admit until now all my CPD was accredited, so I didn't have to address the issue of unaccredited CPD. But I'm sure it would be fine.

Australia is in! Here's the official word from the National Professional Services Manager at Optometry Australia:

"Yes I think the easiest way of doing things for you guys will be to simply provide a certificate of attendance for an Aussie optoms and then let them self record their points. This is how overseas conferences generally award points to Aussies and avoids having to pay for accreditation and having to submit accreditation forms ....

Optometrists self-record non-accredited CPD and if they are audited by the regulator need to be able to justify the points they have recorded - this is typically done in the form of a certificate from the provider.

In as far as making sure it is to Australia standards - I have attached a CPD Provider's manual but the basic idea is:

1 hour of lecture = 1 independent CPD point
1 hour of lecture + 10 MCQ (must have at least 4 options for answer) = 2 points

For calculation of points I would imagine the majority of your lectures would be clinical,

non-clinical is:
Lectures, workshops or independent
learning activities. For example:
practice administration, practice/
business marketing, law, psychology,
foreign languages, first aid,
occupational health and safety, and
dietetics.

Non-clinical education relevant to practice that
can improve the management of patients in a
tangible way;

these activities are awarded one point per hour regardless of whether or not you have assessment

In the Australian system we also have therapeutic and non therapeutic CPD:

Table 3: Continuing professional development activities
related to endorsement for scheduled medicines
Prescribing and supplying medicines are stages of therapeutic
medication management.
Therapeutic medication management involves the following stages:
• patient assessment
• differential diagnosis of all conditions of the eye
• development of a management plan
• appropriate choice of medicines (this may involve writing a
prescription, ceasing medicines, dose adjustment, advising on
over-the-counter medicine)
• advice to the patient about the appropriate use of the medication
• development of a treatment plan
• monitoring outcome
• administration, and/or
• sale and supply if required and completing any necessary
documentation.
Definition:
A CPD activity ‘relevant to scheduled medicines endorsement’ is an
educational activity that meets the learning needs of the optometrist
relevant to any of these stages of therapeutic medication management
and assists in demonstrating one or more of the therapeutic
competencies in the profession’s competency standards.5

So generally providers list the points as therapeutic or general points based on the above."

Can any lessons be learned from Australia Optometry? Are they more trusting using an honor system with needed verification if audited?

How the Florida Board of Optometry can justify depriving Florida ODs the opportunity for an alternate COPE approved C/E approach is open to speculation. Perhaps a Florida can explain their thinking.

In any event, I hope our loyal ODwire.org leadership signs up early to save $50. This week we begin marketing to all the 40K ODs rather than just our limited 19,000 family.

BTW, if any Australians have advice for me as to how to best reach your peers, i'm all ears. The usual suspects don't maintain lists for you guys...

would love to get the word out. I've contacted your association and we'll be running small ads in january, but i'd love to find the largest source to get our message out.

thanks
ad