1. GPLIwire2017 is Here! The First Virtual Specialty Lens Conference. $199 until 8/1 [learn more]
    Dismiss Notice

CEwire2017 Info

Discussion in 'CEwire2017' started by AdminWolf, Sep 30, 2016.

1. AdminWolf

AdminWolf Site Administrator & Tech Lead
    Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    University of Michigan Medical School
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Now Open for Early Registration! $149 for 40 credits.
    Click here & get the 'early bird' pricing.

Mark your calendars -- our next conference, CEwire2017, is scheduled for January 28 & 29, 2017.

The last conference drew about 3,000 ODs, and awarded tens of thousands of COPE-approved credit hours to participants.

CEwire2017 promises to be as big or larger, with all new content and more vendor discounts.

We'll post the registration page URL in this thread as soon as it is ready, as well as more information about the show as we have it.

Please feel free to ask questions about the upcoming event in this thread.

Thanks!
    Adam

Editor's note: If you can't make it to live 1/28/17 and 1/29/17 program all the courses will be available "On Demand" to 5/1/17.

2. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    BTW, if there are any topics you'd like to see that receive little coverage elsewhere, feel free to ask here. The time is now, not later, as we run all lectures through COPE ourselves, even if they have been pre-approved already. So lead-time is important to us.

I think you'll enjoy the line-up of speakers this year, we've invited lots of well-known folks, ODwire.org regulars AND some docs who may not be as familiar to you (including an OMD or two!)

ad

3. Jeff Kiener

Jeff Kiener ODwire.org Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2004
    School/Org:
    Ohio State University College of Optometry
    City:
    Columbus
    State:
    OH
    Farki,

I'd love to see a systemic lecture on:
    1. Multiple sclerosis and/or
    2. Systemic lupus erythematosis and/or
    3. Myasthenia gravis and/or
    4. Sarcoidosis

I've done lots of eye CE and it gets repetitive. What we don't get enough of is basic systemic pathology that has ocular complications.

4. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Noted. We'll see what we can do about getting some systemic talks on the program.

5. Richard Frankel

Richard Frankel Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2002
    School/Org:
    Pennsylvania College of Optometry
    City:
    Somerset
    State:
    NJ
    Is that now officially CE wire hq?

6. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Indeed it is :)

We intend to make full use of it at the conference.

ad

robert maynard likes this.
  7. Brandy McCormack

Nov 2, 2016
    School/Org:
    SCCO
    City:
    Charlottesville
    State:
    VA
    I have never tried CEwire yet, but I'm excited for it if it works for my state's requirements. My state (VA) requires that if I do live internet CE that I need to have the ability to ask the lecturer questions. Does CEwire have that ability? Thanks!

8. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Yes, you can interact with the speaker during and after the lecture -- via a text-chat window.

we also encourage all lecturers to answer questions via e-mail afterwards, if they can't finish up within the allotted lecture time.

Hope it helps!
    Adam

9. Brandy McCormack

Nov 2, 2016
    School/Org:
    SCCO
    City:
    Charlottesville
    State:
    VA
    Sure does! Thanks!! I will be getting signed up!

10. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Great! BTW, just so everyone is aware, the only state that has given us any real resistance at this point is Florida -- their rules are nearly impossible for an online provider to meet. I don't know why.

And in another interesting twist, about 30% of registrants this time (so far) are from Canada!

11. Craig Steinberg OD JD

Craig Steinberg OD JD ODwire.org Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2009
    School/Org:
    UMSL
    City:
    Agoura Hills
    State:
    CA
    I agree, but I wouldn't necessarily limit it to path that has ocular complications. First, a broad based understanding of common pathologies cannot hurt generally, because people ask questions, etc. Second, sometimes there is value in knowing that something is NOT what's causing their ocular symptoms and why not, and that requires understanding the disease. Third, sometimes the treatment for the condition affects the eyes, even if the disease does not. Fourth, as we slide slowly into surgical areas, having a general medical background/education is increasingly helpful, both clinically and perhaps even more so, visually and from a credibility standpoint. It does not help when someone mentions some condition and we say we've never heard of it, and the patient knows more about it than we do.

12. Paul Farkas

Paul Farkas Administrator

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    Columbia University / PCO
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    I agree.

We made an attempt in for CEwire2017 to have have general medical courses. No luck finding speakers. If we all survive until CEwire2018 we'll recruit speakers. They have to receive COPE approval. Let us know if you hearany general medical speakers at an optometric venue.

Maybe Adam Farkas,MD will have to put on his general medical medical hat and give us an hour. ;-).

13. Steve Silberberg

Steve Silberberg ODwire.org Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2012
    School/Org:
    SUNY Stonybrook/SUNY/MIT
    City:
    Matawan
    State:
    NJ
    WE do have Dr. Gelb talking about lab testing, specifically blood work (he is very comprehensive) This fits the bill somewhat.:)

14. JAMES CALDERWOOD

JAMES CALDERWOOD OD Temp Post Suspend

Oct 24, 2012
    School/Org:
    SCCO
    City:
    atwater
    State:
    ca
    If you want a good reference while you are watching the courses I really like this book; http://product.half.ebay.com/The-5-...-P-Murchison-2011-Hardcover/109016259&tg=info

It's to the point, all killer no filler, flow charts, online photos and comprehensive including systemic diseases with ocular components. You could have this book open to the appropriate content as you listen to the lecture and I think it will enhance the learning.

Here's a link to the companys web site where you may find other books you like and then search half.com or amazon for discount prices;http://www.lww.com/?promocode=wgz51...20BRJ0jUsUXbvCiXPvz5Ddx7uQR3M-kibNRoCzanw_wcB

15. Lloyd Pate

Lloyd Pate Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2002
    School/Org:
    UHCO
    City:
    Houston
    State:
    TX
    That is a topic I teach. I cover all of those in lectures.

16. Lloyd Pate

Jun 1, 2002
    School/Org:
    UHCO
    City:
    Houston
    State:
    TX
    That is why I teach it in my course for 3rd year students and during my clinical lectures.

17. Craig Steinberg OD JD

Jul 10, 2009
    School/Org:
    UMSL
    City:
    Agoura Hills
    State:
    CA
    In my education we had two clinical courses I recall that were "general." We had general pathology and general pharmacology. In path, we focused largely on disease with direct impact on the eye, such as diabetes. But we had a great section in the course all about cancers. Learned a lot. In pharm, again, we focused on medical treatment of a host of conditions where the meds may have ocular effects.

Of course, we didn't address a LOT of things that could have been included. And, more germane to this discussion, there's been little CE available that covers these things -- things that have changed a WHOLE LOT since I graduated in 1984. I could not even begin to tell you about side effects of today's cancer treatments, radiation, how general anesthesia may impact AMD or other existing ocular conditions, etc. Lot's of CE about the new glaucoma meds, or ocular allergy meds. But little that builds upon the general pathology and general pharmacology from optometry school.

As for your course(s) in optometry school, I suspect they are about as good and useful as optometry students get. However, I'm not sure all the goals of teaching this can be achieved through an optometrist educator. I think an MD that is trained in the field -- an oncologist teaching about cancer, etc. -- is really necessary to ensure (a) the best possible source and (b) the VISUAL and credibility that we're being well educated in these areas. (It isn't that you aren't teaching it well, it's that nobody outside our small sphere will TRUST that you are; If we want to convince legislators and/or medical colleagues that we are educated in these areas, we need to have the best possible evidence that we are.)

18. Lloyd Pate

Jun 1, 2002
    School/Org:
    UHCO
    City:
    Houston
    State:
    TX
    That is why I came up with the course and topics and developed it with a physician who teaches at Cornell. I have him present the course for those reasons. I make introductions to the topics and discuss why they will be relevant to their practice.

See, we are thinking ahead at UHCO.

19. Richard Frankel

Richard Frankel Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2002
    School/Org:
    Pennsylvania College of Optometry
    City:
    Somerset
    State:
    NJ
    Craig,

We have been working at the hospital on a series of lectures for ODs that will cover everything from basics to updates for a number of systemic diseases. Each day will be dedicated to one condition. What started out to be a single day devoted to diabetes, has grown into a full scale lecture series.

The courses will be taught by MDs, you're right ODs are not the right source for this. I was lucky, having both the med school here, and the resources. This is a definite gap inOptometric education.

Best of luck with CE17!

20. Craig Steinberg OD JD

Jul 10, 2009
    School/Org:
    UMSL
    City:
    Agoura Hills
    State:
    CA
    Now, if you can spread that to every other optometric education program in the U.S., we'll be on to something.

• ODwire.org is the largest site online specifically designed for Eye Care Professionals.

If you're interested in practice management or obtaining clinical advice from your peers, you've come to the right place.

We feature private forums, discussions, classifieds, webinars, podcasts and more.

The site has over 19,000 clinician members, and have been running the site since 1999!

Join us today!
  • Get In Touch

Don’t forget to follow us on our social media to keep updated about the latest optometry news.