Staff member
Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
Now Open for Early Registration! $149 for 40 credits.
Click here & get the 'early bird' pricing.

Mark your calendars -- our next conference, CEwire2017, is scheduled for January 28 & 29, 2017.

The last conference drew about 3,000 ODs, and awarded tens of thousands of COPE-approved credit hours to participants.

CEwire2017 promises to be as big or larger, with all new content and more vendor discounts.

We'll post the registration page URL in this thread as soon as it is ready, as well as more information about the show as we have it.

Please feel free to ask questions about the upcoming event in this thread.

Thanks!
Adam

Editor's note: If you can't make it to live 1/28/17 and 1/29/17 program all the courses will be available "On Demand" to 5/1/17.

BTW, if there are any topics you'd like to see that receive little coverage elsewhere, feel free to ask here. The time is now, not later, as we run all lectures through COPE ourselves, even if they have been pre-approved already. So lead-time is important to us.

I think you'll enjoy the line-up of speakers this year, we've invited lots of well-known folks, ODwire.org regulars AND some docs who may not be as familiar to you (including an OMD or two!)

ad

Farki,

I'd love to see a systemic lecture on:
1. Multiple sclerosis and/or
2. Systemic lupus erythematosis and/or
3. Myasthenia gravis and/or
4. Sarcoidosis

I've done lots of eye CE and it gets repetitive. What we don't get enough of is basic systemic pathology that has ocular complications.

Farki,

4. Sarcoidosis

I've done lots of eye CE and it gets repetitive. What we don't get enough of is basic systemic pathology that has ocular complications.

Noted. We'll see what we can do about getting some systemic talks on the program.

CEwire2017 is on the way...

We should have the registration page up soon; We're just nailing down the last of our speakers and topics.

Each conference we get a little more organized; we're hoping to have all the lectures run through COPE before the end of the year.

And Paul & I will be 'on the air' throughout the event, as usual. This time we're going to have even more interviews lined up, with speakers, industry folks, and ODwire.org denizens :)

cheers
ad

Is that now officially CE wire hq?

Reactions: robert maynard
I have never tried CEwire yet, but I'm excited for it if it works for my state's requirements. My state (VA) requires that if I do live internet CE that I need to have the ability to ask the lecturer questions. Does CEwire have that ability? Thanks!

I have never tried CEwire yet, but I'm excited for it if it works for my state's requirements. My state (VA) requires that if I do live internet CE that I need to have the ability to ask the lecturer questions. Does CEwire have that ability? Thanks!
Yes, you can interact with the speaker during and after the lecture -- via a text-chat window.

we also encourage all lecturers to answer questions via e-mail afterwards, if they can't finish up within the allotted lecture time.

Hope it helps!
Adam

Yes, you can interact with the speaker during and after the lecture -- via a text-chat window.

we also encourage all lecturers to answer questions via e-mail afterwards, if they can't finish up within the allotted lecture time.

Hope it helps!
Adam
Sure does! Thanks!! I will be getting signed up!

Sure does! Thanks!! I will be getting signed up!

Great! BTW, just so everyone is aware, the only state that has given us any real resistance at this point is Florida -- their rules are nearly impossible for an online provider to meet. I don't know why.

And in another interesting twist, about 30% of registrants this time (so far) are from Canada!

Farki,

4. Sarcoidosis

I agree, but I wouldn't necessarily limit it to path that has ocular complications. First, a broad based understanding of common pathologies cannot hurt generally, because people ask questions, etc. Second, sometimes there is value in knowing that something is NOT what's causing their ocular symptoms and why not, and that requires understanding the disease. Third, sometimes the treatment for the condition affects the eyes, even if the disease does not. Fourth, as we slide slowly into surgical areas, having a general medical background/education is increasingly helpful, both clinically and perhaps even more so, visually and from a credibility standpoint. It does not help when someone mentions some condition and we say we've never heard of it, and the patient knows more about it than we do.

I agree, but I wouldn't necessarily limit it to path that has ocular complications. First, a broad based understanding of common pathologies cannot hurt generally, because people ask questions, etc. Second, sometimes there is value in knowing that something is NOT what's causing their ocular symptoms and why not, and that requires understanding the disease. Third, sometimes the treatment for the condition affects the eyes, even if the disease does not. Fourth, as we slide slowly into surgical areas, having a general medical background/education is increasingly helpful, both clinically and perhaps even more so, visually and from a credibility standpoint. It does not help when someone mentions some condition and we say we've never heard of it, and the patient knows more about it than we do.

I agree.

We made an attempt in for CEwire2017 to have have general medical courses. No luck finding speakers. If we all survive until CEwire2018 we'll recruit speakers. They have to receive COPE approval. Let us know if you hearany general medical speakers at an optometric venue.

Maybe Adam Farkas,MD will have to put on his general medical medical hat and give us an hour. ;-).

I agree.

We made an attempt in for CEwire2017 to have have general medical courses. No luck finding speakers. If we all survive until CEwire2018 we'll recruit speakers. They have to receive COPE approval. Let us know if you hearany general medical speakers at an optometric venue.

Maybe Adam Farkas,MD will have to put on his general medical medical hat and give us an hour. ;-).
WE do have Dr. Gelb talking about lab testing, specifically blood work (he is very comprehensive) This fits the bill somewhat.:)

If you want a good reference while you are watching the courses I really like this book; http://product.half.ebay.com/The-5-...-P-Murchison-2011-Hardcover/109016259&tg=info

It's to the point, all killer no filler, flow charts, online photos and comprehensive including systemic diseases with ocular components. You could have this book open to the appropriate content as you listen to the lecture and I think it will enhance the learning.

Here's a link to the companys web site where you may find other books you like and then search half.com or amazon for discount prices;http://www.lww.com/?promocode=wgz51...20BRJ0jUsUXbvCiXPvz5Ddx7uQR3M-kibNRoCzanw_wcB

Farki,

4. Sarcoidosis

That is a topic I teach. I cover all of those in lectures.

That is why I teach it in my course for 3rd year students and during my clinical lectures.

That is why I teach it in my course for 3rd year students and during my clinical lectures.
In my education we had two clinical courses I recall that were "general." We had general pathology and general pharmacology. In path, we focused largely on disease with direct impact on the eye, such as diabetes. But we had a great section in the course all about cancers. Learned a lot. In pharm, again, we focused on medical treatment of a host of conditions where the meds may have ocular effects.

Of course, we didn't address a LOT of things that could have been included. And, more germane to this discussion, there's been little CE available that covers these things -- things that have changed a WHOLE LOT since I graduated in 1984. I could not even begin to tell you about side effects of today's cancer treatments, radiation, how general anesthesia may impact AMD or other existing ocular conditions, etc. Lot's of CE about the new glaucoma meds, or ocular allergy meds. But little that builds upon the general pathology and general pharmacology from optometry school.

As for your course(s) in optometry school, I suspect they are about as good and useful as optometry students get. However, I'm not sure all the goals of teaching this can be achieved through an optometrist educator. I think an MD that is trained in the field -- an oncologist teaching about cancer, etc. -- is really necessary to ensure (a) the best possible source and (b) the VISUAL and credibility that we're being well educated in these areas. (It isn't that you aren't teaching it well, it's that nobody outside our small sphere will TRUST that you are; If we want to convince legislators and/or medical colleagues that we are educated in these areas, we need to have the best possible evidence that we are.)

In my education we had two clinical courses I recall that were "general." We had general pathology and general pharmacology. In path, we focused largely on disease with direct impact on the eye, such as diabetes. But we had a great section in the course all about cancers. Learned a lot. In pharm, again, we focused on medical treatment of a host of conditions where the meds may have ocular effects.

Of course, we didn't address a LOT of things that could have been included. And, more germane to this discussion, there's been little CE available that covers these things -- things that have changed a WHOLE LOT since I graduated in 1984. I could not even begin to tell you about side effects of today's cancer treatments, radiation, how general anesthesia may impact AMD or other existing ocular conditions, etc. Lot's of CE about the new glaucoma meds, or ocular allergy meds. But little that builds upon the general pathology and general pharmacology from optometry school.

As for your course(s) in optometry school, I suspect they are about as good and useful as optometry students get. However, I'm not sure all the goals of teaching this can be achieved through an optometrist educator. I think an MD that is trained in the field -- an oncologist teaching about cancer, etc. -- is really necessary to ensure (a) the best possible source and (b) the VISUAL and credibility that we're being well educated in these areas. (It isn't that you aren't teaching it well, it's that nobody outside our small sphere will TRUST that you are; If we want to convince legislators and/or medical colleagues that we are educated in these areas, we need to have the best possible evidence that we are.)
That is why I came up with the course and topics and developed it with a physician who teaches at Cornell. I have him present the course for those reasons. I make introductions to the topics and discuss why they will be relevant to their practice.

See, we are thinking ahead at UHCO.

Craig,

We have been working at the hospital on a series of lectures for ODs that will cover everything from basics to updates for a number of systemic diseases. Each day will be dedicated to one condition. What started out to be a single day devoted to diabetes, has grown into a full scale lecture series.

The courses will be taught by MDs, you're right ODs are not the right source for this. I was lucky, having both the med school here, and the resources. This is a definite gap inOptometric education.

Best of luck with CE17!

That is why I came up with the course and topics and developed it with a physician who teaches at Cornell. I have him present the course for those reasons. I make introductions to the topics and discuss why they will be relevant to their practice.

Now, if you can spread that to every other optometric education program in the U.S., we'll be on to something.

The invitation for you to offer the course at CEwire2017 was extended. I assume for personal reasons you could not accept. Here is hoping you will be available for CEwire2018.

The invitation for you to offer the course at CEwire2017 was extended. I assume for personal reasons you could not accept. Here is hoping you will be available for CEwire2018.
It was sent to the wrong email address.

It was sent to the wrong email address.

How about this private message sent to you on Odwire.org which should have your correct address? This is the Private message.

No response to my two e mails
Edit ConversationMark as UnreadStar ConversationLeave Conversation
  1. Paul Farkas, Sep 30, 2016

Paul FarkasAdministrator
    Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    Columbia University / PCO
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Hi Lloyd,

I sent out the two e mails below to you without acknowledgement. if you prefer not giving the general medical courses, we have to search for another presenter.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Paul

Here are the two e mails in the event they were overlooked...

Hi Lloyd,

I never received an acceptance or rejection to my communication below.

Adam is sending out general invitations shortly. We would love to have you share your general medical expertise.

Thanks.

Paul

On 9/25/16 3:17 PM, Paul Farkas, MS, OD, FAAO wrote:
    Hi Lloyd,

I'm reaching out to you ahead of CEwire2017 speaker invitation mailing.

Are you interested in offering 2 hours on General Medical issues of interest to OD? You may do two 50 minute sessions or a two hour session with no break.

I believe you said you offer this course to optometry students at UHCO.

We'll assist you in making the recording go smoothly.You must be available on 1/28 or 1/29 during your scheduled presentation to answer participants questions in real time.

Your course will be on demand through 5/1/17. You cannot present it at other C/E except to optometry students.

We are offering a lecture fee of $750 per hour.

Please respond to this communication with acceptance or regets ASAP. If you say yes we require course title and outline by 10/10/16.

Thanks.

Paul

Paul Farkas,M.S.,O.D.,F.A.A.O.
    Diplomate Cornea and C/L Emeritus .
    Web site Administrator
    Lake Oswego, OR

Our credibility on ODwire.org and CEwire2017 is essential if we want to remain in operation. Your e mail never bounced. The Private Message sent on September 30,2016 has the e mail address that is your user name. How it never reached you will remain a mystery.

In any event we look forward to your participation in 2018.

We need 20 CE credits in VA, are we required to go thru all 40 CE credits or is there an option to select was VA requires.

Hi Jeanne,
You pick and choose which course you want to take; some people only take a few, others run the whole board and take everything! Totally up to you, you have until May 1 to complete the courses.

Thanks,
Adam

I am not sure if all our 36 credits will be honored from the CE 2017 lectures provided during the online conference

This refers to NY State

I agree.

I have a brother that is very good at lecturing. He was also nice enough to serve on our board when we slipped him in with out the OMDs knowing who he was. Different last name from mine. He loved it.

I have a brother that is very good at lecturing. He was also nice enough to serve on our board when we slipped him in with out the OMDs knowing who he was. Different last name from mine. He loved it.

We are always looking for new talent.

An active search will be underway of speakers on general medical courses for CEwire2018. if your bother wishes to participate he can communicate with is with his bio and course summary he would like to present.

I am not sure if all our 36 credits will be honored from the CE 2017 lectures provided during the online conference

This refers to NY State

only the ones that you take live will be, so technically you are correct since you cannot take 36 live credits during cewire 2017

only the ones that you take live will be, so technically you are correct since you cannot take 36 live credits during cewire 2017

Correct. Courses run from 11am ET/ 8am PT - 6:30PM ET/ 3:30PM PT.

That is the challenge of being live for a national audience. Vendor booths will open early and remain late so there is no competition with courses.

There will also be a single half hour break to relax get refreshments and also visit vendors.

Last edited: