CEwire2020 Returning Live May 30 & 31 *and* June 27 & 28

Discussion in 'CEwire2020' started by AdminWolf, May 8, 2020.

1. AdminWolf

AdminWolf Site Administrator & Tech Lead
    Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    University of Michigan Medical School
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Hi everyone,

I'm happy to announce that due to popular demand, CEwire2020 will be coming back LIVE two more times -- May 30 & 31, and June 27 & 28.

The course lineup will remain the same at both events, so you can take courses you might have missed during prior live showings.

IE, we're trying to keep the same courses competing against each other on the schedule every time, so if you take one at one live event, you can take the one opposed to it at the next, etc..

We hope this helps as many people as possible get the live CE credits they need before ARBO's temporary rule-bending ends at the end of June.

Thanks!
    Adam

Greg Luce likes this.
  2. Paul Farkas

Paul Farkas Administrator

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    Columbia University / PCO
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    For those signing up for the first time, you can get up to 32 Live credit hours over the 4 weekend days, if you can sit in front of your computer for 8 continuous hours each day.

No need for exams just the ability to sit. There is no word in English for this.

We must go to the German lexicon ...Das Sitzfleisch;)

3. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    And note that as of right now, ARBO's temporary rule change will revert on June 30, so this will probably be "last licks" to get this number of "live" in-person CE credits online.

4. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    FYI...

For the many new ODwire.org sign ups the past few months, When the old order is restored by the Association of Regulatory Boards of Optometry(ARBO) - July 1st onward - , CEWire will require a 10 question multiple choice quiz with a passing grade of 70%.

For those taking "on demand" courses though October1,2020, the quiz is still required to get state board credit.

5. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    A final bit of information for those unaware...

Students, Paraprofessionals and retired ODs, who do not require CE credits, there is special sign up line where you can register at no charge. Take as many courses as you wish and visit the Exhibit Hall open 24/7 through October 1,2020.

The least we can do to assist ODs during this challenging time.:)

6. Steve Silberberg

Steve Silberberg ODwire.org Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2012
    School/Org:
    SUNY Stonybrook/SUNY/MIT
    City:
    Matawan
    State:
    NJ
    Some OMDs May coin an old Indian Sitting Bull. But it certainly is NOT

7. Greg Luce

Greg Luce ODwire.org Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2001
    School/Org:
    PUCO
    City:
    Welches
    State:
    OR
    Luckily I only need 16, I got 2 with passing quizzes so far. Man those quizzes are tough. Like being a student. I have three pages of notes for a one hour lecture because I know the quiz would be tough. Good standards.

Steve Silberberg likes this.
  8. Steve Silberberg

Jan 2, 2012
    School/Org:
    SUNY Stonybrook/SUNY/MIT
    City:
    Matawan
    State:
    NJ
    Far better than live live where your iPhone and newspaper take up your time.

9. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Looking forward to seeing you there -- hoping we can get more Oregon folks involved this year! (It is always fun to see people from around here attend the event)

Just in case anyone was wondering, if you've already registered (and lots of people registered way back in November for this year's conference!) you just use the same login you got way back when for all the live and on demand events.

The system will send everyone a login reminder just before the May 30 event, as usual!

We've passed something of a milestone this week, 4,100 ODs have signed on for this year's event, which (as far as I can tell) makes CEwire2020 not just far and away the largest virtual conference ever held, but the largest OD-specific conference period -- in person or online. I don't know of any others that have drawn as many optometrists in one place.

I've definitely got mixed feelings about it...

10. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    For those who are taking above comments seriously, the courses are doctorate level and challenging. Everyone taking a course ultimately passes the quiz. The advantage of having courses on demand allows returning to the course to clear up any questions that could not be answered on the quiz the first time around.

In my opinion, the high quality of the material and presentation honors the attendees. It makes on line C/E not only equal to, but in many cases superior to Brick and Mortar courses with no exam and merely attendance.

In any event no quizzes in May and June for live courses.

11. Andrew Gore

Andrew Gore ODwire.org Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2011
    School/Org:
    The Classic SCCO
    City:
    Pasadena
    State:
    CA
    What mixed feelings?

12. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Mixed in that I’m totally stoked that we’ve been able to help thousands of ODs get the CE they need inexpensively during this time... And we always wanted the conference to grow (and an internal goal was to make it larger than Vision Expo), but the fact that we achieved it due to the world coming to an end doesn’t fill me with joy....

Ed Makler and Steve Silberberg like this.
  13. Kenneth C Dzubey OD

Kenneth C Dzubey OD ODwire.org Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    School/Org:
    University of Houston
    City:
    El Paso
    State:
    TX
    Is it possible to add a CPR course.

14. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Is that a TX requirement?

It is funny, we are now getting requests for a lot of state-specific courses — domestic abuse, ethics, etc...
    We meet the opioid requirement in a number of states with Casella and Pizzimenti’s talks.

I’d be curious if people would chime in with other state-specific course requirements, it is something we can consider adding.

Thanks
    Ad

15. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Please be specific what is required? CPR as I recall when I took it, was a hands on course using a dummy to work on.

Can you actually learn CPR just watching a presentation?

16. Steve Silberberg

Jan 2, 2012
    School/Org:
    SUNY Stonybrook/SUNY/MIT
    City:
    Matawan
    State:
    NJ
    As Adam and Paul state anything "state-specific" let us know. WE try to accommodate as we did with Narcotics. One state requires a course on "Trafficking" ...................It is hard to add new courses to the May/June time frame because we also have to get them approved for on-demand and the School we use is essentially closed. Also, ARBO requires two COPE number approval. It would be logistically very hard to add. HOWEVER PLEASE SHOUT OUT on any courses you want or need and we'll accommodate in the near future

17. Kenneth C Dzubey OD

Kenneth C Dzubey OD ODwire.org Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    School/Org:
    University of Houston
    City:
    El Paso
    State:
    TX
    As described on the Texas Board website:
    CPR Course Tracking
    The license renewal procedure for 2021 license renewal will contain a check box asking if the licensee has completed a recognized CPR course during the past two years. Licensees may receive two hours live D/T credit for live participation in CPR courses. The most common recommendation for health care professionals is the Basic Life Support CPR course. Once that is obtained, a doctor can complete the Advanced Cardiac Life Support course. A Heartsaver First Aid & CPR course is available for those outside of the health care professions. The Board staff takes this course on a regular basis, in part to be familiar with the operation of the AED in the Board’s office.

I'm not sure if hands on is required but will inquire.

18. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR

The one thing that in person brick and mortar is superior to on line are wet labs. Doing CPR involves hand on. Learning to drive is best done in an automobile with an instructor in the car.

19. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    So as we're prepping for the upcoming May show, I want to remind everyone that the idea is that we're going to have the same (or nearly the same) courses at the May/June events, running at about the same time.

So you can take one in May, and the class running against it in June, to maximize your credits.

Again, there will be NO TESTING REQUIRED when you watch the live lectures. This is due to the temporary ARBO rule change expiring in June, we are following their guidance.

Once June is done, the system reverts to the way it has always been. The lectures will remain on demand through October 1st for you to peruse!

thanks
    Adam

20. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    A reminder for those nearly 4500 ODs who are already registered, there is no additional charge for the May and June live shows. You should be able to fulfill all your C/E credits for the year with no quiz. The on demand courses through 10/1/20 require a quiz with a passing grade of 70%.

For the California OD waiting for a State Board ruling...

You should be able to receive State Board credit for may and June shows as it you were taking courses live on site.

For complete details visit...
    https://www.odwire.org/community/threads/california-optometry-state-board-meeting.132713/

For those unsure about what is happening in your state, communicate directly with state board board. Because of the AOA cancelling the annual meeting and offering on line courses, your state board may have modified their rule for on line optometric education.

Natasha Rajpoot likes this.