1. Welcome to ODwire.org, the largest and longest-running social network for eye care professionals, with over 20,000 ECP members!

We offer private peer-to-peer discussions, articles, webinars, podcasts & more!

Our site is free to all Optometrists, OD Students, Opticians, and Ophthalmologists, and practice administrators. Join us!

2. *** CEwire2020 will be online LIVE and INTERACTIVE on April 25 & 26
    60 COPE-Approved Credits! [REGISTER HERE]
    Dismiss Notice

CEwire2015

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by AdminWolf, Mar 17, 2015.

1. John Boer

John Boer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2006
    School/Org:
    Indiana University School of Optometry
    City:
    Harrisburg
    State:
    SD
    Holy balls, you can do all your CE in Indiana via correspondence? Sounds like heaven. I didn't realize there was such a huge variance between the states on that. I get "up to four hours". Woohoo.

2. AdminWolf

AdminWolf Site Administrator & Tech Lead
    Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    University of Michigan Medical School
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    I'd suggest if you want to increase your # of allowed internet hours that you contact your state association, perhaps they can persuade the state board.

3. Bill C. Thompson OD

Bill C. Thompson OD Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    School/Org:
    Southern College of Optometry
    City:
    Richardson
    State:
    TX
    I like it!

4. Larry Bickford O.D.

Larry Bickford O.D. ODwire.org Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    School/Org:
    PA College of Optometry
    City:
    Santa Barbara
    State:
    CA
    Bravo!

And thanks!

5. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    We are egging on the vendors to offer show discounts, where appropriate.

You can see we only have 3-4 sponsors listed on the site so far, there are about a half-dozen more in the hopper that should be coming up this week (just waiting for them to send materials, etc..) Pharma of course can't offer discounts, but instrument manufacturers routinely do at shows.

If you are planning tp purchase equipment and can take advantage of a show discount, your cost of admission is effectively wiped out (heck, you may turn a profit just by registering for the event :) )

6. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    This is a good question, should add it to the FAQ.

Our intent with the charities was that if the conference managed to make any excess profits, we could put them straight back into organizations that either directly impacted patients OR advanced the science & practice of eye care. So you'd feel at least like your CE dollars weren't just being sucked into a black hole.

The three not-for-profits are very different, each has a different thrust, it took us a while to choose them.

* Prevent Blindness has been around for about 100 years; they set up screening exams for kids (amblyopia, etc), low-income and at-risk folks.

They also produce educational material that ~ 100 million people see each year. And they lobby the government on issues of importance to ECPs.

* The Lighthouse Guild (aka Lighthouse Int'l) you may be more familiar with, as it seems like most ODs have at one point or another had contact with a local chapter. They've also been around for about 100 years.

They focus on providing services for people with low vision, as well as funding and supporting vision research.

One of the coolest things they do (and the reason they were my top pick when we were putting this together) is that they operate a preschool for blind kids/kids with low vision.
    It is an integrated school, so normally-sighted kids attend as well! I haven't heard of anything else like it.

* The American Optometric Foundation (AOF) -- is an affiliate of the AAO.
    As they say, they are focused on "fostering, promoting and aiding of optometric education; the profession of optometry and its practitioners."

They support all sorts of educational initiatives, and have funds for fellowships, scholarships, and grants and awards.

More than a few ODwire.org members have been helped by the AOF over the years, so funds to the organization are literally going right back into helping advance eye care.

Hope it helps!

ad

7. Charles A McBride

Charles A McBride ODwire.org Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2009
    School/Org:
    PUCO
    City:
    Beaverton
    State:
    OR
    I'd guess that is exactly backward. State associations are often beneficiaries of CE conferences and might be resistant to increasing the number of online hours allowed.

8. Bill C. Thompson OD

Bill C. Thompson OD Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    School/Org:
    Southern College of Optometry
    City:
    Richardson
    State:
    TX
    You are quite correct.

9. Steven Nelson

Steven Nelson ODwire.org Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2007
    School/Org:
    SCO
    City:
    Fredericksburg
    State:
    TX
    I can get 8 of my 16. What's interesting is that you actually learn MORE via virtual conferences in my experience because you have no idea what material is going to be on the post lecture quiz, so you have to be more engaged PLUS you can take it a couple of hours at a time so your attention isn't fried.

I think that "live lecture" requirement is just the state board trying like hell to help the Universities maintain a revenue stream.

10. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    I know you guys are right, but to me the situation sounds backwards.

CE exists in order to protect the public, which is why the state boards decide how much, when, and where. I can see where they might resist, since by nature they need to be conservative.

But shouldn't your state associations represent the will of the membership? What members don't want to be able to take more CE online?

11. Steven Nelson

Steven Nelson ODwire.org Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2007
    School/Org:
    SCO
    City:
    Fredericksburg
    State:
    TX
    My point is that by not creating an undue burden on the doctors, making a wide palette of topic available like a menu and allowing them to do the CE in small bites according to their attention span AND in a format in which they're accountable for that attention span via quizzes, you ARE protecting the public by a few mechanisms dealing with retention of RELEVANT material.

For example, I deal with a ton of corneal disease. Do you realize how much unnecessary contact lens bs I have to listen to that means literally NOTHING to me simply because that's how the courses are bundled?

So, in essence, I take 8 hrs online of top quality, relevant material and then go to a live CE where I listen to 2 hrs and F off for another 6 because I couldn't care less about contact lens solution induced keratitis. Prior to doing that 8rs of online, it was listening to 2 hrs of relevant materials with 14hrs of stuff I couldn't care less about.

ALL optometric CE is like that unless you go to one of a few large, expensive meetings where you hope there aren't scheduling conflicts with the classes you want.

I think this has a very DIRECT effect on protecting the public. Mike Ohlson and I cry on the phone a lot and beat our heads against the wall on a regular basis because 99 times out of a hundred, the things that are better for optometry ARE better for the public and vice versa.

12. Michael W Ohlson

Michael W Ohlson Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    School/Org:
    UHCO
    City:
    Marshall
    State:
    MN
    The good of the public is the good of optometry.

That may or may not be popular with ODs, optometric special interests, or the public. Depends on the subject, doesn't it?

Overall, protecting our patients and doing the best thing seems to be the reasonable path IMO. People disagree. I know.

13. Michael W Ohlson

Michael W Ohlson Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    School/Org:
    UHCO
    City:
    Marshall
    State:
    MN
    Couple more parallel thoughts on effective CE.

Identifying knowledge gaps and addressing them to affect the public health is the ideal. Ideals seem to be slipping away. Maybe I'm wrong.

Adult learning theory has merit.

Millennials are used to and expect a different world.

Accountability and transparency trends won't go away.

Change will get you killed. Not changing will get everyone killed.

CE needs to reflect the needs and the practice of the learner.

However, we usually don't know what we don't know. It's upsetting.

14. Scott Caughell

Scott Caughell ODwire.org Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2005
    School/Org:
    Indiana University School of Optometry
    City:
    Warsaw
    State:
    IN
    You can do 20 OLDPAC pharma in Indiana but you can not do all your IOB hours online. You need 20 of each every 2 years so 40 total.

15. Tom Stickel

Tom Stickel ODwire.org Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2001
    School/Org:
    Indiana U.
    City:
    St. Louis
    State:
    MO
    For Missouri I've done all mine online or fax in since 2006 or so.

1/3 of us get audited in any given cycle and I've passed at least two that I can remember so it must be all good.

16. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    hi tom, that's encouraging news; if you could pass along our info to your fellow MO docs, it would be great (we could help them get all their credits in one fell swoop, if the chart is to be believed.)

17. Tom Stickel

Feb 3, 2001
    School/Org:
    Indiana U.
    City:
    St. Louis
    State:
    MO
    I'll double check.

One problem is that our reporting periods are 32 hours in two years but IIRC we have to get 16 per year. Is there a way to make the CE available for up to one year or will that take up too much space on the servers? Because otherwise we wouldn't be able to get it all in one swoop.

Then again, I guess the ideas are for people to only take the CE they want, so you wouldn't necessarily take all 32 hours, and also for people to come back and pay next year;)

18. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    The reason we priced it so rock-bottom low is because we want the conference to be affordable, even if you only take 1/2 of the credits.

As for more lectures in 2016, stay tuned....

if the response is good, this will be a recurring thing. But we need two things -- 1) lots of people to participate and 2) continued allowance of online CE. High attendance will speak louder than we possibly can.

19. Tom Stickel

Feb 3, 2001
    School/Org:
    Indiana U.
    City:
    St. Louis
    State:
    MO

Here we go:

Effective with the two- (2-) year continu-
    ing education reporting period beginning on
    November 1, 2008, every optometrist current-
    ly licensed in Missouri shall obtain a mini-
    mum of thirty-two (32) hours of approved con-
    tinuing education (herein “C.E.” credits)
    relevant to the practice of optometry. Any
    hours acquired beyond the required number
    may be carried forward into the next renewal
    period not to exceed sixteen (16)
    hours

So there is no 16/year requirement, it looks like it reads 32/2 year cycle. So a MO optometrist can get their whole two years knocked out in one shot.

And I didn't realize that we can carry forward 16 hours into the next cycle. Which means MO ODs could do the ODWire thing this year and next.

And I couldn't find anything in the statutes limiting online courses. Main thing is they either have to be COPE approved or in a major meeting (SECO, Heart of America, AAO, AOA, etc.). If not either of those then it won't count for Missouri unless a copy of the outline of the program is submitted to the Missouri board at least 30 days prior to the meeting and the CE sponsor fee is paid.

So is it all COPE approved? Because I drive by the COPE office in St. Louis twice a day, I can go up there and knock some heads if you need me to :)

20. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Yes, we are getting COPE approval for all the talks that are being given -- from A to Z.

This is one way that we are differentiating the conference from others, we aren't playing around with courses that can't be or won't be approved.

It is expensive to do this -- we are footing the bill for re-submitting all the speaker's courses to COPE (a requirement -- you must get re-approved for online usage.)

So.. we're hopeful that everyone will sign up and attend.

thanks!
    ad