1. Welcome to ODwire.org, the largest and longest-running social network for eye care professionals, with over 20,000 ECP members!

We offer private peer-to-peer discussions, articles, webinars, podcasts & more!

Our site is free to all Optometrists, OD Students, Opticians, and Ophthalmologists, and practice administrators. Join us!

CEwire2015

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by AdminWolf, Mar 17, 2015.

1. AdminWolf

AdminWolf Site Administrator & Tech Lead
    Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    University of Michigan Medical School
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Yes, this is a good deal for them -- they could do all 30 hours during the conference, if so inclined. I don't know what the CE scene in Canada is like, but i'd imagine if you were from one of the more far-flung parts of a province, it would be annoying as heck to have to constantly travel to the city to pick up CE credits.

2. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    New Hampshire docs, how do you read this:

1. An optometrist certified to use pharmaceutical agents in the practice of optometry shall complete a minimum of 50 hours of continuing education every year in order to maintain pharmaceutical certification. A minimum of 20 hours shall be by participation in formal courses and the remainder by independent study. An optometrist certified to treat glaucoma shall complete a minimum of 10 of the required hours in glaucoma specific education. A minimum of 7 hours shall be by participation in formal courses and 3 hours may be by independent study.

That tells me that -- at the very least -- you should be able to take 30 hours at CEwire, yes (even if you call it "independent study"?) Anyone have a different opinion?

3. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    ... and NV -- "Any course that is COPE approved". It doesn't mention anything about the internet on their site. Sigh.

4. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
  5. Gretchyn Bailey

Gretchyn Bailey ODwire.org Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2001
    School/Org:
    Optometry Times
    City:
    Lansdale
    State:
    PA
    Welcome to the frustrations of a legislated profession.

6. #146 Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Paul Farkas

Paul Farkas Administrator

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    Columbia University / PCO
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    I checked with a Florida State Board member who is also an ODwire.org member and participant.

Sorry to report there are no CE credits for on line COPE approved participation.

Do need C/E credits for other states to maintain your license?...
    https://www.odwire.org/wiki/cope-requirements-by-state/

Check it out.

7. Randall Bernstein

Nov 8, 2002
    School/Org:
    Indiana University School of Optometry
    City:
    Indianapolis
    State:
    IN
    Law was amended 18 mos ago. Now you are only allowed 8 hours of online/self study towards 40 hours of CE to get your license. 20 hours minimum have to be in Pharm. 2 Hours in coding/billing/charting and the rest in regular courses. No practice management CE is allowed.

8. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Will other state boards have second thoughts about allowing on line C/E.There will be expected pushback from State Optometric Associations that wish to see live bodies at their convention. How much influence do Optometric Associations have on State Boards?

That is the great unknown.

9. Michael McDermott

Michael McDermott Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    School/Org:
    UCBSO
    City:
    Danville
    State:
    CA
    Just registered. I got frozen out of one of my standard UCBSO Morgan Series this coming weekend. Full up they said. Then I saw this right after I was going to start mail in CE through Review of Optometry. This is even better and CA allows 20 units in this manner. Plus I am getting sick and tired of having to pay $500-545 for 16 units. Granted I am stuck with it for at least 30 units but maybe no longer for all 50 units. That is a huge bonus. Thanks, Adam.

10. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Hi Michael,
    We look forward to seeing you there!

Our biggest challenge is getting people to register -- if we can get a big enough crowd together for this first show, we can keep a perpetual series running, giving docs everywhere a low-cost CE outlet permanently (and also helping out these charitable orgs -- this conference isn't about lining our pockets.)

So it would help us greatly if those who have registered just let your friends know about it, sending them to the cewire2015.com site.

Particularly before May 1 when the price goes up.

Thanks!
    adam

11. Charles A McBride

Charles A McBride ODwire.org Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2009
    School/Org:
    PUCO
    City:
    Beaverton
    State:
    OR
    I'm looking forward to it. The date is getting closer. Got to look at the courses offered again. -Charlie

12. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Course list is growing, we're adding as we make COPE submissions.

The process has been reasonably smooth so far!

13. Charles A McBride

Charles A McBride ODwire.org Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2009
    School/Org:
    PUCO
    City:
    Beaverton
    State:
    OR
    This is exciting. I love the list of courses. I think I want to take a day off and just watch courses. Is this what you expect people to do generally or just watch them prn? Will there be enough time to ask real time questions? Will the "hour" be limited to an hour? And, if not, how can I make the next course in time? -Charlie

14. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    The lectures themselves run 50 minutes, you can ask questions as the talks are going on (ie, you type them in), the speaker can choose to respond as things are happening, or wait until the final 10 minute q&a period in each talk. After each show, you get bounced back out to the 'lobby' and get to pick another one.

we're building in some intermission times, i believe, where you can mingle with vendors in the exhibit hall, or talk to other showgoers during the live event on the 16th & 17th.

should be a blast! If you have OD friends around Oregon, please forward the cewire2015.com site to them -- I really think this meeting is going to skew a little west-coast heavy, since the states out here seem so good about the # of credit-hours. (BC too)

ad

15. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    The key to making this a success is the combination of a large number of ODs participating and vendors sponsoring using the booth features. Early OD sign ups makes it easier for us to attract additional vendors.

Taking advantage of the"live" days May 16 and May 17 allows visiting the vendors in real time making purchases taking advantage of discounts and having Wells- Fargo financial available to help funding. Active vendor sales will be an attraction for additional vendors for the next conference.

Talk about convenient. Each day will have three hours dedicated to visiting vendor booths and taking a lunch break.

Will we do it again? It depends on ODs. You can't image the time involved setting this up. Paying speakers for over thirty hours plus the company running the show is pricy.

If the project works as we hope and we can give profits to eye care charity, it will be worth the effort.

16. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Utah -- according to an OD who spoke with the board, you can do all of your required hours online, as long as they are COPE-approved. Which ours are! I know you need 30 every 2 years, so why not get it over with here? :)

ad

17. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Have you taken all the C/E hours required for this?

How can you take advantage of the COPE approved $3 per hour courses?

Check with you state board. You may be ble to take the CEwire2015 courses, pass the exam and use the credits for 2016.

Check with your state board whether you can bank the CEwire2015 low priced courses.

18. Michael W Ohlson

Michael W Ohlson Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    School/Org:
    UHCO
    City:
    Marshall
    State:
    MN
    Due to the large variances in CE rules and laws (it's good to know both in your jurisdiction), it can be difficult to keep up with changes in CE requirements, such as carry-over into license periods.

I'd suggest Googling your state board's website and looking at the continuing education rules and law. I'd also save them as a PDF for later reference.

If those are clear as mud, try emailing the state board or calling on the phone. ODs are citizens as well as licensees. The contact information is also on their websites.

ARBO has a collection of CE requirements at its website, www.arbo.org. However, a licensee will always be responsible for knowing the current requirements. (Eh, we do our best to keep up.) https://www.arbo.org/ce_req.php

Your state or province association can be quite helpful. They serve their members and might provide quick answers.

Editor's note: This advice comes from someone who knows...the former chair of Association of Regulatory Boards of Optometry (ARBO)

19. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    The only two states that we know for sure won't honor our CE are Kentucky & TN (because we're not a 'national organization', ludicrous, IMO) and Florida, where electronic CE is totally verboten (even more ludicrous -- if I were a florida OD i'd be livid.)

Other than that, everyone is good to go for at least some credits. And some states for all the credits (Oregon, for instance.)

20. Michael Eugene Turner

May 4, 2012
    School/Org:
    University of Houston College of Optometry
    City:
    Springfield
    State:
    MO
    Thanks Tom. I was checking here before contacting the MO Board and you have supplied the information I was seeking.